3D Engraving V Bit Leaving "Wall"

New to this program but got a good grasp on it already. 3D engraving a map onto a table top that goes 3/4" deep. I have the programming set for using an endmill bit to surface everything up to 3/4" deep, and the V Bit to do the fine details. Why am I getting left with this flat wall section on the 3/4" deep sections? My V Cutter is 3/4" wide, x 3/8" cutter shaft length. My interpretation is it would do the bevel in a few passes to get the consistent bevel for the entire thickness.

What is the cutting flute length for the tool in question?

How deep are you cutting?

Draw the cut up in profile?

Cutting flute length is 3/8", total depth is 1/2"

I would think the program would just do the 45 chamfer in stepped over passes to get the depth. Maybe I’m wrong

Unfortunately, you are wrong. CC does NOT account for V cutters shorter than the required depth, it always assumes that the V Cutter is sufficiently tall.

As a workaround, you could create a second Advanced VCarve path, NO clearing bit, but only as deep as the difference between the overall depth and the depth of your bit.

Thanks, that’s kind of what I figured after checking all my settings and parameters

No, Carbide Create does not take cutting flute length into account when creating toolpaths:

it just shows the result of the toolpath as assigned w/ that diameter tool.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.