Great print quality on those parts! Still PLA ?
It is PLA Plus, very nice quality never any issues. I bought 8 Flashforge Adventurer 3 Lite’s to speed up production and design. They work very well.
After installation it worked amazingly well for about 20 seconds but I was a little too happy about it and that possibly caused two of the plastic bolts holding the Vwheels on to break. They were not strong enough for the weight. Will redesign using metal hardware.
Future designs will use embeded stainless nuts and bolts for everything instead of relying on plastic threads! Stupid plastic bolts!
I’ve found that 3D printed threads to bolt into work pretty well, they’re also a good incentive not to over-torque the bolts and break the printed part. Real stainless bolts to put the print into compression across the layer lines are definitely the way to go, I’d only 3D print the bolt part of a thread where locating is more important than holding force or when comically large like M40+
3d printed threads tend to work better with “hand drawn” threads unless you need to match standard hardware. Fusion isn’t great for modeling custom threads, but a coil can be tweaked to make it work. Even on standard threads, I always offset the surfaces a bit.
One of the best things to have on your desk.
It is very convenient to print off some custom size bolts. I really like Fusion’s threading feature. They have all Metric and SAE thread sizes pre-configured from loose to tight. Perfect for printing whatever you need on the spot for testing and ordering hardware after.
I think my failure might have been due to a bad print layer, I was nesting the bolts, and noticed the two that broke snapped in the exact same place. I can twist as hard as possible with my hands on these 100% infill 1/4-20 printed PLA+ bolts in my fingers and they do not bend or break. I also tested some 1/2 deep threaded printed sleeves with stainless bolts. The threads hold up very well.
My problem is I was confident it was going to work so I super glued every plastic bolt in place to make sure they were not going to vibrate loose. So instead of replacing 2 pieces I am now making 44 again haha…
Many many many hours later…
Stainless bolts with 3d printed threads work very well for me.
Had to redesign a lot of aspects after testing for proper function, stronger structure and rings, vanity covers to hide the ugly, and removed all questionable overhangs for almost perfect prints. Covered most exposed bolts…
Working on counterweights, quick connect and bulkhead fittings next.
Does this include the v-wheels and the 80/20 track?
The HDZ hose mount is different from this hose trolley. The trolley I am designing takes over 50 hours to print with 10 dollars worth of bearings in it and *20 Stainless bolts, *45 pieces total with well over 200 hours into development. I have not set a price yet but I am thinking it will be closer to $100 due to the time it takes to print, the amount of filament and the components. The V wheels do come with it (I made them) but a piece of 80/20 rail would need to be ordered from 8020.net to fit your application @52 cents a inch.
A lot of money for a 3D printed hose mount, but hell I have paid over $100 for a end mill, was worth it for me.
The 5 piece part with the 3 rings on top of this picture is the HDZ hose mount.
I know the answer before I asked, the main reason I did was to make it clear for everyone and save ourselves from any confusions that might come up… Thank you and keep up the good work.
BubbyDog, this is so awesome. I hope you setup a way for people to be able to donate to you, these parts will be very helpful.
I’m trying to import the hose holder into PrusaSlicer, however the scaling seems to be off when I open them (see screenshot), Do I need to adjust the scaling?
So it appears to be off by about 10x, so maybe it’s a centimetre to millimetre issue?
Me too! Just started using the PwnCNC boot. Already had to print two nose pieces and cut new lexan windows because of DHS (dragging hose syndrome).
I see the model you are using was converted to MM but is not sized properly in the Prusa slicer.
When I load a model in inches format Prusa correctly resized it I think? Hard to tell with no Prusa haha.
Try this one in inches format:
9-23-2020HDZHoseBracketRing1.stl (886.2 KB)
ModularHoseMountSystemforS3HDZ-7-9-2020-in.zip (2.0 MB)
Made lots of progress but I found a way to break it,-Twist with both hands, and it fractures the V bracket bolt housing. Will redesign with stronger bosses and possibly a add on anti-twist bracket with additional horizontal locating wheels for applications with twisting forces.
Latest design has upgraded hose cradle with 1 inch thick hose rings with fat attachment tabs for the 1/4 flat head socket cap screws. Can’t break them and I am very strong.
Designed a straight and swivel pulley system for the counterweights.
Currently working on a pull/pull method so the gantry is not dragging the hose, but is attached to a set of pulleys to keep it located where it should be.
Lots of editor photos, actual photos at the bottom… Rendered with Brass, Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. When turned on the Vac shrinks up any slack in the hose.
Brilliant idea putting the screen behind the transparent back of the enclosure!
I really admire your attention to testing strength from all angles. All of us wanna be designers can learn from this.
Make. Break. Learn. Improve. Repeat.
Threaded bulkhead enclosure fittings for 2.75" hole with 90 degree pipe using the 3 piece deluxe hose adapters I previously designed.
Got the large threads all figured out, will make quick connects more secure and easy to design.
Very happy with my progress on my hose adapter collection. My new bulkhead setup works very well. I am planning to design some 45/90 degree deluxe hose adapters, for smoother less restricted turns…
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.