3D printer ventilation

I know many of us also own/use 3D printers. I thought you might be interested in this article about possibly harmful emissions from said printers.

Personally, my printer has been in an enclosure from day one. It is vented via a 4” clothes dryer hose through a window in my garage door. I will be investigating positive flow/filter options to upgrade my system.

Link to original article referencing the link above: https://www.zdnet.com/article/volatile-compounds-3d-printing-has-a-serious-safety-problem/

Thanks, I think that I would want to build an enclosure as my 3D printer is located in my basement, I would probably use a fan and filters. I’ll put that on my to do list. BTW, have you seen good air tight enclosure designs?

The problem I have is ventilation to the outside especially in the winter when the temperature is below 0F regularly, I would not want to suck warm air out for 5 to 7 hours at a time.

1 Like

I don’t think an airtight enclosure would work. Unless, I guess, if you were going to vent it at the end of the run? Even then, a sealed enclosure would get pretty hot, too hot for some materials.

I’m going with slight negative pressure, pulling air through the enclosure from lower left, front to upper right, exit right side thru vent line to outside. Exhaust fan mounted on vent line inside at junction with wall. Probably try a 5”, 12 volt computer fan first. Making this up as I go.