3D tool paths for Guitar Violin contour

Anyone interested in making some money and generating a tool path for me? The way my design sits now it requires a TON of hand sanding to get the finish I want. I know carbide create is capable of much finer details. I am just not as capable currently. I plan on taking a few “one on one” classes that carbide hosts to refine my programing skills. But, I am not there yet. I’m in a bind and need some assistance faster than I am able to learn.

Maple Face Contour.c2d (608 KB)

This looks to use the technique which I wrote up at:

One thing which will help is to use a larger ball-nosed tool.

The other thing to do would be to blend the paths together — unfortunately, Carbide Create does not have a feature for that, but hang on…

Here’s what it would look like w/ those toolpaths/geometries assigned to a hypothetical 1" ball-nosed tool:

Another consideration is that sandpaper is the wrong tool for material removal — for large planes, a Shinto Saw Rasp is amazing at hogging away material, and leaves a decent surface:

and if you don’t have any good quality, hand-cut rasps, you have a revelation coming:

I keep seeing Liogier and Auriou rasps popping up in my Facebook feed and at Lee Valley:

but haven’t been able to get them by the finance committee yet.

(and they have the Shinto Saw Rasp as well as replacement blades)

Thats awesome information! I have seen many videos of people using the “shinto” rasp. I will grab one and see how it works. Thank you for the tips.

Also, I do have pro. I am just not familiar with the Model shape, and shape parameters and component parameters yet.

This should be pretty quick work in Pro — just experiment with drawing/modeling in it. See:

and

Alternately, you could model in some other tool such as Alibre or Blender, then import as an STL.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.