4th axis for shapeoko 5 pro

Hi all, I`m new here, apologize if this has previously been answered. I’m about to embark on getting the shapeoko5 pro and was wondering if a 4th axis has been put together to go with this cnc?

Not yet and I don’t think there’s a current plan for one either. But one of the C3D guys can say for sure if one might come some time.

While I’m one of the C3D guys, I’m not involved in product development, but a 4th axis seems unlikely in the near future:

• it pretty much requires electronics to support the 4th axis — I don’t think the nifty accessory connector has such an option
  • it would require an enclosure rated for the impact of a long piece of stock coming free and getting thrown by the spindle running at full tilt which would be an expensive thing to put together and ship

That said, we used to have an FAQ noting we don’t support a 4th axis, but it’s not at:

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/

anymore…

That said, what sort of work do you want a 4th axis for? There are alternatives — two-sided cuts, even a 4-sided flip frame prototype:

That said, if you just want to mark things in the round, a rotary axis for a laser is a popular accessory and seems to work well.

4 Likes

I have been using lasers for hobbies for the past couple of years and using a rotary with the laser, making some lovely work, I was wondering if Shapeoko supports rotary’s, as Im treating myself to a nice xmas pressie, the shapeoko 5 pro 4x2, just wondering if this machine also supported rotary’s, I fancy having a go at making chess pieces. Thanks all for the relies.

Thanks for the info, clever idea making a jig like that, cheers.

See:

Depending on which laser you get some manufacturers make a rotery for the Shapeoko. Just not sure how a 3D image would work. Supposably Vectric software can but I can’t confirm that.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.