4th Axis on the 5 Pro

Can you put a 4th Axis on the 5 pro? Please let me know if anyone has done this.

2 Likes

If you get a set-up, please let me know. Ive wanted this for awhile. Thanks
Stay safe

It’s not a supported configuration, and I don’t think that there’s an axis left over for this, so you’d have to (for instance) trade Y-axis movement for rotation and would only be able to have indexed cutting.

What sort of projects do you wish to do?

There are other options — sided cutting for instance, or see:

2 Likes

I just saw it on you tube and it seems the shark has a 4th axis you can buy for their CNC. I was just curious. It would be cool to make your own chess pieces & stuff like that.

1 Like

Chess pieces can be done two sided:

The thing that confuses me @WillAdams is the Rook.
How does two sided make the top of.the Rook. Theres 5 parts to the ‘crown’ ontop. My brain cant figure that out unless done from the top. Just curious

At:

https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/comments/m4fwib/comment/gqu72uu/

it is noted:

…nicely symmetric for two-sided machining.

so this specific design doesn’t have crenelations which are formed so that they would require a 4th axis or other accommodations.

For that one symmetrical part such as on a Staunton chess set my inclination would be to make a fixture to hold the part and just finish it off with a file — though making a pentagonal flip frame would be way cool.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.