8mm option for carbide compact router?

I have a carbide compact router. I was looking at getting an 8mm collet for holding an indicator and for potentially playing with 8mm bits in the future. I assume that the carbide compact router can only use er11 collets? If that’s true what’s a reputable collect manufacture that makes 8mm er11 collects? I’ve found a few of these online but it seems like most places stop at 7mm for er11 collets. Has anyone had success with an 8mm er11 collet?

If you have a regular C3D router an er11 collet wont fit. If you bought the special C3D er11 collet router then you can use er11 collets.

Elairecorp.com has both Makita/C3D collets and er11 collets.

2 Likes

I bought an 8mm ER-11 collet from Maritool which has worked well:

1 Like

oh crap, I just have a regular C3D compact router, not the special er-11 one I guess. Are C3D just “Makita” compatible? Is there any other designation I can look for?

The regular C3D router is compatible with Makita collets, and Makita does have a 8mm collet, it looks like this:

(reference seems to be " Makita A-86181")

That collet is 3/8" (9.525mm), not 8mm (5/16").

As noted, the Standard Carbide Compact Router uses the same collets (and bearings, brushes, nut, motor, and housing) as the Makita RT0701/0700

Elaire Corp. has an 8mm collet:

(which looks like other collets, just w/ an exceedingly thin wall)

My O.C.D. required that I buy the complete set (though I’ve since replace the 1/8" and 1/4" versions w/ the crisper ones from Carbide 3D)

I must have the reference wrong then because the European version of the Makita (RT0700) definitely comes with a 8mm collet, I have one and use it with 8mm endmills.
That said, Elaire collets are great and probably easier to source in the U.S.

Edit: yep, my bad, the reference for the Makita 8mm collet is A-86181

https://www.makita.fr/product/a-86181.html

1 Like

Awesome, thanks everyone! I wound up getting the 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm set from Elaire Corp. Hopefully the 8mm serves me well!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.