A birthday gift for a friend who collects, restores, and sells lava lamps

Just thought I’d share! I don’t spray paint things usually, I stick with acrylic paints in most cases. But I’m pleased with the result.

14 Likes

Did you paint the reflection as well?

I did. I cut a stencil with my Cricut for that.

I sprayed the wood first (hard maple) and then put oramask on it, carved it, then painted the yellow vase coat, the red gradient over the yellow, then masked off the yellow area and painted the silver. Then applied my stencil and gave it a quick blast of white.

1 Like

Groovy Man! Like Far Out.

3 Likes

Looks good, from afar.

Just one more pass, and you could have removed all the tool marks in the pockets. Its like you stopped after the roughing pass, with a large stepover, and didn’t do a finishing pass. That would move your project to the next level for me.

1 Like

Oh? I didn’t know that was possible. What kind of bit?

You could use the same bit but use a small depth of cut and a low percentage <10% for the final pass. You would have to set up 2 toolpaths to do it that way.

1 Like

If you don’t want to mess with the stepover change then you can do this with a single toolpath by calculating your depth of cut per pass vs the max depth such that the final pass would take a smaller bite. That may help things.

I didn’t know there was a market for lava lamp rebuilds. Funny though I was looking for one for my daughter a year or so ago and true lava lamps are hard to find and expensive.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.