A deep dive into 3d carving using CC

So I am trying to understand the correlation between the Grayscale heightmap image file and how CC/CM use the file to drive the machine’s (SO5pro in my case) z axis.

First question, does CC/CM use 8 bit definition values for grayscale or does it look at gray percent values. Basically I want to know do we have 256 values of gray (8 bit) which relates to 256 z-steps which is then scaled to fill the z-height (thickness) of our workpiece. Or, does it look at percent values of black to define the grayscale which would result in 101 distinct z-steps.

My second question is also resolution related in a manner of speaking but rather than pixel value bit depth, I am curious about optimal image resolution (pixel/sq.in). Logically (when working in inches opposed to metric) the jog resolution in CM is .001" per step at its finest jog resolution. So if I were to assume this is the stepper resolution then the highest resolution file I can utilize maximum pixel data would be 1000 dpi. Logically there are mechanical limitations when processing pixle data at a 1:1 image resolution/stepper resolution – if you have a material thickness of 1 inch and a black pixle is next to a white pixel the z axis isn’t going to be able to move 1" distance in z in the span of .001" distance in either x and/or y.

My goal in this understanding is to be able to accurately and consistently control the 3d carving for the purpose of layering large/thick 3d carvings together in multiple planks to be glued together after machining. And another idea I’m kicking around in my head is to be able to to variable z-depth wood inlay (eg. a topographic map carving that has an inlay of a trail path that is machined so inlay conforms with topography.)

So if anyone can provide some specific details how the grayscale heightmap is used by CC/CM to drive the various aspects of the machine. Or point me in a direction to seek such information, I would be very appreciative.

I think it’s easiest to think in terms of percentage.

Image size is determined by the Job Setup selection for Model Resolution:

That pixel image will be scaled across the largest dimension of the Stock Size.

Then, if I understand it correctly, the 3D toolpaths compare the selected geometry to how it interacts to an interpolation of the scaled height of the pixel image.

For the trail thing, the best solution we have is to draw it in as a closed region, then subtract it from the model, disable it when initially cutting, then enable it and cut it with the smallest tool possible as a 3D Finishing toolpath. There’s a post showing the mechanics if you have difficulty, let us know and we’ll dig it out.

I understand it’s probably easier to think of z-displacement in terms of percent on the grayscale but I was hoping to find out exactly how the software handles it. If we boil it down, the difference between one and the other is that percentage allows us 101 distinct z-steps. while 8 bit grascale allows for 256 z-steps. This carries some importance as it helps to determine about how thick a slice can be and not see the layer lines of an over scaled z-height. The more steps we have available the thicker the spread between z-min and z-max can be.

@WillAdams that is pretty much how i was thinking about the trail inlay idea as well. But that is also why I am wanting a better understanding how CC defines z-depth displacement. the challenge is creating the inlay “plug” with the exact same z-depth displacement as the base inlay groove. Inlay is hard enough on a flat plane but my brain want’s to go “You know what would be real cool…(and very challenging to wrap my brain around) would be to inlay on a variable z depth surface.”

Presumably it does use all 256 possible values — export an image and check? Import an image w/ 256 different grey value circles and try to make a 3D file of them where each would be at a different depth?

3D inlay is something which I believe some folks have looked into — let us know what you find out!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.