A different problem with Z height and Bitsetter

Today I have a new problem with a new 2 sided job using tool changes and the bitsetter. I ran a similar job yesterday with no problems.

1. I initialized the XXL and then set my X,Y, Z zeros manually. Not enough room to use the probe.
  2. I then actually selected “Load New Tool” and let it go to the bitsetter and checked the zero after that it was spot on.
  3. I then load my file and run it. Immediately when the XXL starts to run the job it goes up past the hard limit for the Z axis. I can hear it hit.

Then it begins the job and it is plunging way to deep! I am 99.9% sure because it went up past the hard limit on the Z top end and that threw things off.

I designed the job in Vcarve and I have actually already ran a successful job yesterday that was almost identical. I did not have this problem then.

I am attaching my Vcarve file and my Gcode and hoping that someone might have a clue what is going wrong. I have double checked my Vcarve Pro setup and re-exported the toolpaths. I am using the Shapeoko_inch_TC Post Processor.

I have attached photos of the box I did yesterday and then the deep plunge that I aborted today. I think It has to do with it hitting the Z limit at the top.

Round 4in box for Ann McKeel.zip (831.4 KB)

Here is my F/S setting for the first pocket toolpath.

I tried to open the project, but I only have VCarve v9 so it won’t open.

What you describe is very typical of setting a retract height value that is too large (compared to the available Z-travel left, once you have install your (thick) stock)
Reduce retract height to just a few mm (especially since you are using tape&glue workholding, so don’t need to care for clamp clearance or anything like that) and you should be fine.

When retract height is too high, and one reaches the hard Z limit, the motor will loose steps, the machine will think it is higher than it is, and while plunging back down will go “too far” (i.e. generate moves from a virtual point higher up than the Z limit), and that results in what you are seeing.

EDIT: the g-code shows retract height by 0.8" / 20mm, which is much more than you need, and is probably causing your issue with that thick piece of stock.

3 Likes

Julien, you are da bomb! Thank you!! and gee wiz… it will be so nice when I reach the point where I can carve daily without hitting a road block. Way more to learn on this stuff than I anticipated but well worth every minute of it. Thanks again for your help! Going to rerun it now.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ll gt it!

If you ain’t learnin’ you ain’t livin’!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.