A little advise

I am trying to make a few coasters and want to carve some names on them. I have tried v carve, contour, and so on. I used different end mills and still not good. Any advice on what tool path and end mill and cut depth to try would be greatly appreciated. Most of my trials have had a depth of .0625 - .01250. The font I am using is script.

How does the cut match the 3D preview?

What did you not like about the V carving preview?

Post your file?

It looks like you are doing contour cuts with a ballnose. For font work, you almost always want to do a VCarve with a V bit. For coaster size work, I would use a 60 Deg or narrower.

The pre view looked great but when it cut there were a lot of tattered cuts. Some of the letters were basically shredded. Like the k in the picture. I trashed the file and in the process of redoing it again.

Would you believe that photo is with v carve toolpath and #301 90 V cutter.

If the cut doesn’t match the 3D preview, then problem would either be mechanical (check the belts, pulley set screws, &c.), tooling (make sure to use the correct tooling which is suited to cutting the material in question), feeds and speeds (adjust as necessary to match the material, or the material itself (some woods are splintery, or have problematic grain — use different woods).

Post the file?

This is all so new to me and I am amazed and thankful of the people on this site. Whenever I ask something so many people are so willing to help. I just want to thank everyone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.