A random box from ancient times

At this point in my life I think I would be interested in the ancient box more than some painted woman or naked presentation of some woman in marble in some other part of the building. Just spent a day at Disneyland, relational, a lot of good looking women around and I was holding my wife’s hand. One at home is better than a thousand I can view at the park or museum.
(This box kind of appears to be some of my earlier [last week’s] work.)
Rex

1 Like

Quite possibly a dovetail, since Google tells me “queues d’arondes” translates to “dovetail” (I have a hard time remembering the English names for the various joinery techniques, let alone remembering their associated French names too…)

2 Likes

It’s not just you, I went to Ham House

and the main thing that interested me, after the wood panelling which had clearly seen several generations of craftsperson & tools was the Queen’s brass & wood travelling jewellergy strong box

http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1139751.1

3 Likes

Aren’t those called Finger Joints? Have I been using the wrong terminology all this time? :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought someone had called them Box Joints.
My Sincerest Apology! No offence intended

1 Like

I’ve done both:

Heck, I thought I’d get some SWAG when receiving my SPXXL.
All I got was some little stickers.

Just kidding (a little) :innocent: :rofl: :joy:
Eric

I visited Paris in 2007 to do just that - but the queue of bloody tourists (:rofl:) prevented that from happening! So we walked to the Cathedrale Notre-Dame instead!

2 Likes

I detest waiting in lines; I would have done the same haha.

The Vatican has a pretty impressive stash of antiquities as well whilst you’re travelling.

I had not thought you would be able to get that close to things from ancient Egypt but the Italians are quite, Italian, about such things :wink:

2 Likes

Back in 2007 I visited Egypt (in that short period of time when it was not a risky thing to do) and was both amazed by the temples, extremely surprised that one could get so close to things, and furious about the behavior of some of the other tourists (as in, scratching some 4000 years old paint on a wall with their fingernail to see if it came off ? what ?..). They had not yet installed acrylic panes everywhere…

3 Likes

(pedantic… at least when one is searching for moulding & shaper tooling)

Box joints are for the corners (of a box).

Finger joints are the spline joint used to make long boards from short ones. Looks like two sets of straight fingers interspaced.

4 Likes

Speaking of museums, if you’re ever in Southern California, this is better than Disneyland!

Whenever I see a project like this from @RichCournoyer I find myself revising their website:

3 Likes

The raison d’être behind Sloyd instruction is pertinent:

Students may never pick up a tool again, but they will forever have the knowledge of how to make and evaluate things with your hand and your eye and appreciate the labor of others.

1 Like

So true.

The hours spent in sløyd classes making boot jacks, step-stools, cutting boards, wooden cups and other miscellaneous wooden and metal items, sure has made me appreciate others craftsmanship so much more.

Still have a 1980’s Sjöbergs bench in the basement.

2 Likes

We’re used to that, over here! :rofl:

True… Brits almost smile when they realise there’s a queue to join.

2 Likes

And nothing pulls brits together faster than a defector trying to jump the queue…

2 Likes

Reading these comments early in the morning, with ADHD, and a sick sense of humor, sends my mind to dark places. As I read about the different kinds of joints described, based on the box, it reminded me of shop class. Then I start wondering if Egyptians had shop class, and if their shop teacher had all of his fingers. Or perhaps I just need coffee.

2 Likes

A man after my own heart! But for me is doesn’t have to be a certain time of day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: