A sign for my daughter

We lost our daughter in early August. Wanted a sign from a quote from her favorite book to go with her picture hanging in the house. Filled the letters with epoxy. I’m so glad that I had this tool to do something therapeutic during this time.

23 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

Sign looks beautiful. Was that a v-carve before the epoxy? What angle bit?

2 Likes

It was a V-carve with a 60 degree bit. The sign is only 9 inches tall and I didn’t like how the test board looked with the 90 degree. The design overtook the board.

1 Like

Based on my research it seemed a lot of people prefer the 60 degree, that’s why i was curious. I haven’t done any v-carving yet, but have a few projects i’ve designed. I had planned to use a 60 degree bit.

One of the key reasons I use a 90 over a 60 in a vcarve is the thickness of the stock. The 60 will cut deeper into the stock for the same size text.

@CrookedWoodTex That is why I went with the 60. In order to have enough depth for the epoxy I either needed bigger lettering (90) or deeper lettering (60) so that I could plane it down afterwards and still have good detail. Especially in the filigree.

So sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I’m truly sorry for your loss. The sign is absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.