A way to hand surface hard to hold aluminum parts

Try this if you want to put a fine finish on your aluminum parts.

1 a piece of thick float glass for your base
2 a handle of some sort, I just use a block of walnut I found on the floor
3 full sheets of 100, 120, 150, 220, 320 and, if you’re going all out, 400 and 500 or even finer if you like
4 a roll of double stick tape
5 a roll of painters tape. (the double stick I use really likes to stick to aluminum so I use painters tape between it and the aluminum)

7 Likes

Beautiful, just beautiful

Don’t stop until you can see a reflection of your camera.

I’m out of 1200 grit, darn!

What grit is the palm of your hand?

You only go to 1200? I’m joking…kinda…when I turn pens and use CA finish I’ll go up to 12,000! Candle holders and oil finish I only go to about 800, then Bounty brand paper towels till it’s so hot I can’t touch it, followed by HUT wax and more paper towels with the lathe spinning as fast as I can get it to go, and really hot to the touch(the wood, not the lathe).

Admittedly on any aluminum I’ve done it’s just deburr and burnish.

Dan

Somewhere between 60 and 80 I’d guess. Why do you ask?

1 Like

Way out of my league Dan…HUT wax?

https://www.rockler.com/hut-wood-finish-select-finish-type

It’s a turners finish, currently my favorite. Sand, walnut oil, Bounty paper towels, rub with HUT, more paper towels. It’s about the easiest and cleanest finish I’ve used. I’d use it by itself, without the walnut oil, but it tends to build up in details. Especially on darker woods if I don’t oil first it kinda looks like I went crazy with a crayon!

Dan

2 Likes

Hmmmmmm, I bet you could apply that with a buffer to non-turnable pieces like custom grips.
Thanks for the tip!

Yea, I forget what specific bars I use, but similar to what I use on my buffing wheels.

Dan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.