A week of firsts

I am brand new to all of this, so literally everything I’ve made so far is a first effort. Made a tool path to surface my SO5 spoil board. Made a tool tray for bits. Dorked around with some image carving after tracing a logo. It was fun.

This, however, is what has maybe excited me the most. It’s a ridiculously simple round box with a tight fitting lid. Nowhere near as advanced as any of the stuff I aspire to, but I think this is pretty cool.

27 Likes

Congrats, looks great. I had my shapeoko for almost a year before making my first small box with a lid that fit properly :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Check out John Clark on youtube.

Here is here on the forum and has some interesting tutorials on box making and a lot of other Shapeoko subjects.

2 Likes

That’s pretty awesome. I love his intro about a slight box fetish. I am crazy for antique wooden boxes.

1 Like

Antiques started somewhere! Get busy! :smiley: +1 on your box. It will be better with better wood, too.

I do love a good box. :slight_smile: Nice work!

1 Like

Wow. Thank you! Your videos are giving me a ton of inspiration. The mechanics of it are fascinating. So many things to learn still.

My brother and I collect custom knives, and one of the reasons I thought it would be cool to have a CNC in the first place was to make custom boxes for folks who spend more money on their knives than I did on an SO5.

1 Like

nice job! try sanding the sides so its a little bit smoother.

Thank you. I intend to do just that when I’m concerned about the fit and finish and not using a crap piece of scrap pine laying around my garage to prove the concept. This one is destined for a shelf somewhere to collect dust and remind me that once upon a time I did something cool when I had no idea what I was doing.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to play around with settings and bits to see if i can reduce the tear out when crossing the grain like you are seeing on that. Still haven’t figured it out, but it takes a lot of sanding to remove that because it’s typically deep.

Are you using dust collection of any sort?

Yes, but on this one the bit was .25” too low and by the time I noticed the program was running so I let it go.

1 Like

HEY AARON: Don’t stop working on the round box now! Put a design on the lid, sand it all smooth, and apply a clear type finish. You’ll be amazed at what that box turns into. Then instead of sitting it on a shelf, display it somewhere convenient for people to see and see who will ask you for it - or who will ask you to do one for them.

Tell them it is a modern version of a Shaker box! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.