Actual size of the #102 endmill

Quick preface, I’m with PreciseBits so while I try to only post general information take everything I say with the understanding that I have a bias.

This is for a number of reasons. First, is that we are dealing with centerless ground blanks to make tooling from. These start out smaller than the actual shank size (about 0.0002" / 0.005mm). Then you have to add margin drop, grind flutes, an edge, and possibly add reliefs. So even if you had perfect blanks, grinding machines, and wheels the tool would be smaller after you add the minimum steps to turn it into a cutting tool.

What that functionally means is that there is a looser tolerance on any tool that has a cutting diameter the same as the shank. In many cases this is also why you see a +0,-X spec on those tools and a ± on all the tools less than the shank size.

There is a way to solve this problem by starting with a larger blank then post grinding the shank to the correct diameter. However, this adds a LOT of cost and can make the tool less accurate as the shank you were using to grind the tool is being modified and can lead to tool runout.

Not only is it not possible to get the actual cutting diameter this way (margin drop, relief, etc) but very easy to damage the tool without realizing it. One of the big issues is that to get the tool to not rub you grind away material behind the edge. This means that the only way to measure it with calipers “accurately” is to measure on the edge… the weakest part of the tool. You WILL damage the tool measuring it this way. Might not be enough to see or make a difference in the next few cuts but it will make that part of the edge wear faster as it is now fatter from dulling or chipping it.

Hope that helps to explain some of the issues. Let me know if there’s something I can help with.

13 Likes