Adding correct info to new tool

I figured out how to add new tool to carbide create but is there a resource where I can located the correct information for that particular tool? How do I know what to put in the spaces for Depth per plunge, feedrate etc? rmp?

You can reference similar tools already in the tool database. CC uses conservative numbers, so you can experiment with bumping them up. I also use https://fswizard.com/ . Their numbers are aggressive, targeting big rigid production machines, so you’ll probably want to tune them down a bit.

It would be cool if the dialog for inputting feeds & speeds showed SFM (Surface Feet per Minute, or the speed the cutter is traveling through the material), and chip load (FPT - Feed Per Tooth). For a given class of cutters, once you know these numbers you can keep them the same & let the system calculate your speed & feed from them. Something like this…

I can input SFM & Feed Per Tooth only, and it will calculate the RPM & IPM (MMPM).

See:

and

and

and

1 Like

Thanks…I’ll give it a go.:slight_smile:

Once you find the info you need for a particular bit you can manually edit the .csv file for your custom tool. In CC go to the Help menu then About and Open Data Directory. Navigate to the CC directory and then Tools. Double click on your custom database and it should open in a spreadsheet. Then manually edit what you want. Then save the file as a .csv file and not allow the spreadsheet to save in its native format. There are a lot more fields you can enter data into over the ones when you add the tool in the CC application.

Here is my keyhole bit for reference. This information is only valid for a Frued 70-104 Key Hole Bit. If you have a different brand you need to research the diameters of the larger cutting bit and the smaller diameter cutting. I have went to the Frued website and they feeds and speeds were way to high for a Shapeoko. So as @Tod1d suggested use the stock tools for a reference as a starting point. The Key Hole Bit has no equivalent bit in the stock C3D stock tools but for similar bits like 1/4" down cut bits you can reference a #251 for a starting point.

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
701 Freud 70-104 701 Keyhole end 0.39 0 0.25 0 0 2 0.125 0 10 60 16000 0.4375 1 1 60 16000
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.