Adding/editing Tool Library

I must be missing something…

I’m trying to add new tools into my tool library, and have succeeded in doing so, but the system appears to make assumptions, which I can’t edit.

I’ve added ‘Grey’ (the collar colour) as shown below:

…and compared it to this default entry…

…and then went to edit my entry, but all I can see is these ‘editable’ values…

How do I change things like number of flutes, flute length, etc, i.e. physical stuff I can see, and where do I find out what the settings for RPM (the unit for RPM looks like inches!), plungerate, feedrate, etc. from, and what’s Depth?

This is so confusing :anguished:

Thank you

You’re going to get the answer that you need to open up the CSV file (the “database”) and make the changes there. Which is honestly a bad answer for a product. All of the fields that the system uses to make decisions and calculations that are user changeable, should be on that dialog - with edits in place to make sure you don’t select invalid values.

I also believe (though I haven’t done it to prove it), that if you have the tool in multiple places due to different settings for different material types, you will need to edit it in multiple places…even though things like the tool geometry don’t change.

A general improvement of the product would be to establish a normalized view of the user’s tool set: Define the tool and it’s physical geometry in one place, then have that available to you in a materials view where you can set the variables that are impacted by the material.

1 Like

Thanks, Gary. I figured that would probably be the case for editing them.

All I need to know is what the settings should be! There was an earlier post asking a similar question and the OP was sent to the vendors website. There isn’t much of that info available where I bought these from, I have to say :frowning:

Yeha…so that’s a more difficult question. @fenrus literally wrote the book on that. What is the “right” setting is more of a feel than a tautology. Fenrus describes the science behind all of the settings, which gives you a great understanding of WHY you might choose one setting over another - but ultimately, the speeds and feeds seem to be based on a trial-and-error approach to quality of result, wear and tear on the equipment, and your comfort level using the tool. It is clearly a frustrating area that LOTS of people (myself included) have struggled with.

actually @Julien wrote the book, not me

2 Likes

Yes…I stand corrected. You did read the book, though? :slight_smile:

And sorry @Julien!

So, is this book a real thing, and where can I get access to it, please?

Please see:

https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/

1 Like

Ah, a bit of light reading :+1:

Thank you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.