Adding new bits to Carbide Create

I bought a spoil board resurfacing bit though it will not be to resurface the spoil board. I’ll be using it as a planer to ensure my project pieces are flat, as most aren’t.

I’m not seeing where I can add new bits. I see where I can add a new library and have. I know I’ll need the bit info and I do have it.

Any assistance from those higher up the knowledge ladder is much appreciated.

Thank you

You first have to add a new Library:

Then right-click and select the sort of tool you wish to add:

2 Likes

As @WillAdams stated above you can add tools. I hide the tool databases that do not pertain to my Shapeoko 3 so my choices are less confusing. So when you create a database use the “Machine Type” that you use so your regular C3D tool database and your custom tools show up without having to select your custom database. Also the custom tool databases are stored in a .csv file. You can edit that file directly by going to the menu and the select “Help” then “About” and then “Open Data Directory” Once there navigate to “Carbide Create” and then “Tools”. There you will see your custom library and if you double click on it it will open in a spreadsheet. When you get through modifying the file be sure to “Save As” a Text CSV file. The spreadsheet will try to save in a spreadsheet format and the Carbide Create cannot read those type of files only .csv files.

Here is my custom tool database for my Whiteside 6210 fly bit and an Amazon fly bit.

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
601 whiteside 6210 601 Fly Cutter 6201 end 1 0 0.25 0 2 3 0.25 0 10 80 16000 0.01 1 35 80 16000
602 Sugelary X002JUT7TF 602 Fly Cutter end 1 0 0.25 0 2 3 0.25 0 10 100 16000 0.01 1 35 100 16000

When creating custom tools you need to assign a unique number to each tool and not duplicate any of the C3D tools. Make a standard to use. For me the fly bits are 600’s. My Key Hole bit is 700’s and my custom 20 degree bit is 800’s. Also if you get quite a few tools it might be a good idea to create a text document that shows what each bit does and is numbered. It is also helpful to print your document and paste it on the Shapeoko so you can remember when a particular tool is called for by Carbide Motion what you need to install.

It is better to have a system in place before you start making custom tools.

For new tools you can look at a similar tool that C3D makes and use their parameters as a starting point for testing your feeds and speeds for the new bit. For instance I have several Whiteside up and down cut bits. I used the #251 down cut bit as a starting point and the stock #251 bit parameters worked.

I went to the OEM bit manufacturers sites and the F&S they recommended were fantastically fast for a Shapeoko. I think many of the OEM F&S are for industrial machines so do not rely on what the OEM says because it is likely too aggressive for a hobby machine.

1 Like

Thank you both for your assistance and your time. I was easily able to create a new library folder and add tools then saved it. I was then able to use the resurfacing bit to make my piece flat. I guess i dont really need a planer.

A planner is a handy tool in the shop. But that depends on what type of woodworking you do. If you are primarily doing CNC work yes the fly bits work. However I have noticed that on some species like cherry the fly bit will burn the surface. Cherry is easy to burn due to the resin inside the wood.

If you are only using a cnc to flatten rough wood then be sure the wood is firmly placed on the spoilboard for the first side flattening. You may need to shim an uneven board so it is stable while flattening the first side. Then after the first side is flattened you can just turn it over and flatten the second side. If your board is rocking back and forth you will never get a flat surface. Additionally having a flat spoilboard and the router trammed is important when surfacing large areas.

So a planner is much, much faster than the Shapeoko at flattening a board. However you must start with a flattened side on one side. Otherwise running a board that is uneven on both sides will result in an uneven board. The planner has feed rollers that will force the board down but as soon as it comes out the end the board will warp back up. So the solution to a planner on rough lumber is a jointer. Together the planner and jointer work well together but are expensive. So depending on how many rough boards you are trying to flatten the Shapeoko can work but at a cost of time.

Do not discount traditional ways of flattening lumber like hand planes but they will give you a work out. Buying a hand plane and poor boying can be quite inexpensive but again you sacrifice time for speed.

There are no shortcuts to quality work.

I thought about a planer and joiner but im limited on space in my two car garage. Drill press, table top bandsaw, combo belt sander, table top router table with router and the Shapeoko 4XL is what i have to build my projects. Once i knew i could use the 4XL as a planer it was an easy choice. I’m retired from skilled trades as a fire sprinkler fitter and do this because i enjoy it and i have the time. Our motto was we do it right the first time. No suprise to anyone doing this, i didn’t get it right the first time but I’m learning and getting better.

I very much appreciate this platform. The assistance on questions is amazing. Thank you.

Is there a way to import a manufactures complete library into Carbide create pro like you can do in other programs

Somewhere on the forum was a link to Amana bits. They may have integrated them into the std tools. I don’t use Amana bits so you will have to look. If they integrated them it will be the ones they sell.

The tool libraries are stored as .csv file (use the “Open Data Directory” command to find the tools sub-folder they’re in.

So when you are in the correct folder you can add the mfgs complete library?
It is obvious that I am a newbe and need all the help I can get.

You can duplicate the existing tool libraries, or make additional ones, and then interact w/ them as .csv files.

Thanks that is sorta what I thought you meant

I can’t seem to modify the flute information the tools (the ones I am adding, not the Carbide tools). How do I change that?

Help | About | Open Data Directory

Then go into the tools directory in the Carbide Create directory and edit the underlying .csv files.

Oh gotcha. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.