Adding new tool

Hello

I have few questions on creating a new tool:

1. First of all, there is an issue on Windows 10 French settings when creating a new tool
    When you set the diameter value, Carbide expects a comma as decimal symbol in French locale settings. But we cannot click after on ‘ok’ to add the tool because it complains about the “included angle” value which is not editable and uses a period instead

I was able to workaround the issue by setting by Windows french settings to use period for decimal symbol and restarting carbide create and set all values using period as decimal symbol.

1. Tool parameters
    I want to create a new tool for my single flue endmil:

When I check the created tool:

I can see number

• num flutes
    -flute length

But I am only able to set the diameter when creating the tool

1. could you please explain the 2D and 3D parameters?
  2. differences between 2d and 3d for a cnc?

Here is my bit parameters:
Single flute
Diameter : 3,175 mm.
Cuttiing diameter: 2,0 mm.
cuttinng length : 12 mm.
Total length : 38 mm

Thanks lot
Regards
Francois

1 Like

Bonjour François,

I’m afraid this is the correct workaround for now, CC is not quite internationalized yet.

Yes, only some of the parameters are actually used and there are some (like the number of flutes) that remain from earlier versions (or would possibly be used in future versions)
If you would like to fill these (it won’t change anything), you can edit the CSV file containing the tools, which you can locate on your disk by going to Help / About / Open Data Directory in CC, then navigate to Carbide Create/tools subdirectory.

I can’t recal when CC uses which, @WillAdams probably knows.

In general, “2D” (or sometimes “2.5D”) refers to toolpath where the cutter only moves in two axis at a time, typically X and Y, keeping Z constant (until the next pass). “3D” refers to toolpaths where the cutter moves along X, Y and Z simultaneously, like when you do a finishing pass along a wavy 3D surface.

The feeds and speeds for that endmill will depend on the material you want to cut.
I have a few tips here, but if you tell us what material you will be cutting, folks can provide the settings they would be using in that situation.

2 Likes

My understanding of the unique 3D setting:

• Finish Allowance — this is the distance which will be used when calculating material to leave — it gets successively smaller as the size of a ball-nosed endmill gets smaller, so even with a finishing pass there will still be some material to remove

The balance of them are the same as for 2D.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.