Adding wasteboard on top of existing

I am thinking of adding 3/4” MDF on top of my wasteboard to prevent it from too much cutting.
If I do this how does effect the z axis’s. When I enter the material thickness at job setup do I now had 3/4 to the thickness or is there a way. Seems to me that there must be a much better way. Could someone please explain this to me .
Thankyou
John

You can add a supplemental waste board on top of your existing slats. The only thing it will do is reduce your “Z” height. My feeling is the slats are as everyone calls it a waste board. If you cut into it and surface till you can’t anymore, replace them with new ones. If you want the supplemental waste board, go for it.

No it will not change how you setup your project. When you Zero, CM remembers where the new Zero is and will cut your project as you have told it to.

I Zero off the bottom (waste board). My slats are almost pristine. Measure your work piece accurately each time you place it on . If you tell it to cut .750 and your piece is .750, that is as far as it will go. These machines only do what we tell it to do.

Good luck

3 Likes

Here’s a couple of files that may be useful. You didn’t say what machine you have.

First file is for a set of replacement spoil boards for a Pro XL. Could be easily modified for a Pro XXL

Shapeoko Pro XL Spoil Boards.c2d (80 KB)

This one is also for a Pro XL. My own design made from 1/4 plywood. I just clamp it on top of the spoil board when i doing through wood cutting. Protects the spoil board and still gives me assess to the clamping rails. Size is 12 inches deep but could be easily changed to fully cover the Pro XL spoil board. Mine only covers the useable area. Works for me.

Spoil Board Cover.c2d (56 KB)

Here’s a picture of the custom one i made. Spacing and width of slots may be off by a Tad but close enough to cover and match up with all the metal mounting rails so you can still use clamps. Just need a little longer mounting screws for the clamps. File could be easily modified to cover the whole surface. When you use the clamps to hold your project it also clamps the board to the spoil board

Cover

4 Likes

You know…I’m figuring it’s only a matter of time before Carbide jumps on the AI bandwagon…then they’ll start producing machines with a mind of their own: Complaining; rebelling - “Nobody puts CNC in a corner…”

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for you advice on this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.