Advanced V Carve Carbide Create and Bitsetter

Trying my hand at Advanced V Carve in Carbide Create, After zeroing x,y and z (Bit setter disabled) I began cutting my project @ 0.0625 (1/16 inch).

after changing the “tool” from 1/8 inch end-mill to the 60 deg V bit I don’t see an option to (re-zero) x-axis. The only option on screen is “resume”.

After doing the required tool change and pressing resume, the V bit plunges deeper than the 1/16 inch depth programmed into the max depth, ruining my work piece.

Must I use Bit setter? does the bit-setter zero the z-axis?

How do I change tools without re-zeroing z-axis every time I do a tool change in (advanced V Carve) in carbide create?

v/r

If you don’t use the bitsetter you need separate files for each tool and you need to reset Z for each since the the relative distance from the “home” Z position and the material could be different given the projection of the bit.

If you use the bitsetter it adjusts for the difference in tool projection. You do not need to set Z between tools.

1 Like

hi thanks for responding, when prompted to change tool the only option is for me to resume the project, it doesn’t give the the option to reset the zero on z-axis…

how would I create a separate file for the advanced v carve option?

why have the bit setter if it does not zero the z-axis im confused…

v/r

Ah, yes. advanced VCarve.

@fenrus posted a link to some code a while back that would break the file into two pieces. Some searching in the forum should turn up that link.

If you have a bitsetter I highly recommend getting that configured and working properly. It makes life a lot easier.

Edit, I found the link it is from @fenrus not Neil as I originally stated

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/javascript/gcodesplit.html

Did you configure for and enable the BitSetter?

When enabled it should prompt for loading a tool and then measure it.

Advanced Vcarve is not possible without the BitSetter. However the user fenrus has a github application that will split an advanced vcarve into two separate tool paths. So after separating the tool paths save one with the end mill and another separate file as the vee bit. Set your zeros and run the first file. After that file finishes the machine will move to the back. Use the software button to change the bit. Then set the Z zero, the X and Y are still set. Then load the second file and run that. Most people run the pocketing tool path first but you can run the vcarve tool path second but you get better results running the pocketing tool path first because the vee bit has less material to remove.

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/javascript/gcodesplit.html

This was developed a long time ago so not sure if you need gcode or if it will take a .c2d v7 CC file. You need the Pro CC to get separate gcode files. The gcode is encrypted inside the .c2d files in V7 CC files. I have the Pro version so not sure but in the preview in CM you can view the gcode so maybe you could copy and paste. Again that might just be a Pro feature. Mileage varies. The other option to get gcode is to download and use v6 of CC.

I have not personally used this application but it is said to work.

The BitZero and BitSetter are very useful tools and make your machining much easier. I would recommend you use both but it is your money to spend.

Hi all, so yes my bitsetter is enabled and the machine works as it should except once I make initial cut and get to the first tool change and hit resume the v bit dives below the programed depth.

im guessing because the z-axis must be zeroed after every tool change even though the machine still recognizes the bitsetter

thanks in advance.

v/r

After the tool change it should go back to the Bitsetter to measure the second bit. You should not have to set Z again.

If it doesn’t go back to the Bitsetter then something is not working. Are you sure you have the Bitsetter enabled in the setup screen?

1 Like

Just make sure you are following the screen prompts. Never change a bit manually. Always follow the software commands or use the change bit button.

Once you set X Y and Z zero it is set with the use of the BitSetter. The way the BitSetter works is when you machine initializes it sets up internal coordinated that is zero for X Y and Z. Then when you set the X Y and Z that is offset from the internal coordinates set during initialization. Then when prompted for a bit the machine moves to the BitSetter and plunges twice. Then another offset is calculated from the internal coordinates and the x y and Z you set and that is what makes every bit go to the same Z zero during bit changes. If you manually change a bit then those offsets are no longer valid. Each time you replace a bit it may stick out more or less than the previous bit so that is what the BitSetter is compensating for.

Make sure if using a Makita/C3D router you tighten the bit initially with the stop button and a single wrench. Once you get the bit tight enough not to fall out use 2 wrenches and tighten up the bit the rest of the way. If using a down cut bit that is slightly loose it will pull itself deeper and deeper into the material because it is trying to pull itself down. Down cut bits do a good job of pulling itself down with a loose bit. Make sure your BitSetter is properly secured and not moving around. The v1 and v2 have set screws that hold them onto the front rail. The SO5 and Nomad have their BitSetter integrated into the bed. All BitSetters can have their position set in the Machine Setup to fine tune their position. Make sure you bit is over the center of your BitSetter.

Hi and thank your for you posting, this helped me out tremendously and thanks. Seems to work out great now, after many attempts to get it right, with your help I was able to figure it out…

I was changing bits manually and re-zero (x) every time I changed a tool which I found out was wrong…

thanks again

v/r