Advanced v-carve leaving islands

I’ve just completed An advanced v-carve and notice that the bottom of the cut has left islands that I’ll need to sand out.

Is this explainable? Something I’m doing? In preview mode it looks correct.

I’ll add the c2d file as well when I’m at my computer.
BrettskisBar.c2d (275.3 KB)

Doesn’t show up in the 3d preview:

How are you managing the tool change? Could the tool have slipped? (we recommend using the button only to hand-tighten things so that they will stay in place until one fully tightens using a good quality pair of wrenches (13mm low profile and 22mm stubby for the Standard Carbide Compact Router)

I would suggest using a different #102 tool setting, one suited to the material rather than the default.

Looking at the tool paths it seems as though the 1/8" tool may be missing a few spots.

Change your Step Over to 0.3mm and it looks better
![Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 11.07.56 AM|690x431]

Will - I change the tool as you describe - hand tighten w. button, then use wrench.

very true on the #102 settings - I just used the default.

Thanks for the comment.

It may be a mechanical deflection — please check that everything is secure and well-adjusted mechanically.

@Ed.E - That looks good, thanks for looking into that - but wouldn’t the preview still show the ‘islands’ even if the step-over was incorrect?

99% sure everything is tight. as FYI - This is a one-off custom piece, and I was able to dremel-tool out the islands, so the end product is fine.

You would think so but I’ve had this happen to me so I’ve learned to look at tool paths along with the preview. The results in your project get even better if you were to down size your pocketing bit size.

Hi Ed- so a 1/16" bit instead of the 1/8" ? or even smaller? 1/32"?

I will look at ordering them - the smallest I have now is the 1/8" -

also - thanks Will and Ed for comments - much appreciated.

I am running a project now and am getting the same type islands. I’ll probably just sand them or deemed them out but again they aren’t there in the design file.

When the simulation is showing the depths are shown in different color gradients. If the levels are too close to each other the gradients are too subtle for either our eye to see or the graphics card to reproduce in a way we can see it. As Ed said look at both tool paths and simulations.

1 Like

Mine actually went back and cleaned them out at a much later pass. when it was about 70-80%

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.