Advanced V Carve Slow at Times

Quick air job, which only confirms that the jagged portions along the toolpath end up slowing down the movement

(this was during a random portion of the toolpath, while air-v-carving the left side of the “B” in “Braves”)

1 Like

Here is the original SVG

Braves-Final

1 Like

Here is the downloadable link…

Well there is your problem. You are making a Braves sign and not an Astros sign. :grinning:

1 Like

The nodes in the file seem reasonable:

so this would seem to be a problem in how Carbide Create calculates the toolpaths which @robgrz will have to speak to.

3 Likes

The output from CC has moves that are as small as the precision of the output, 0.01mm. This is less than a step. I’m not sure how GRBL handles that (I’m sure there’s a mechanism as I think I remember reading it somewhere), but there’s definitely something up with those Advanced V-Carve toolpaths.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Neil: would you suggest that a post processor should do basically rounding to whole steps?
(and eliminate no-move moves)

that’s an interesting idea and likely not all that hard to implement

1 Like

I think that makes sense. Less for the tiny MCU to deal with.
The only issue I see would be with the varieties of steps/mm values used with the same controller. There is such a variety of machines using the same controller…would you make this a part of a post-post processor?

at least CC has a separate post proc between shapoko / nomad / generic

1 Like

I’ll note that if you do that for a curve approximated using straight line movements you’re likely to get a more jagged result, depending on how rounding errors fall out.