Advanced V Carve - some help needed

My Shapeoko 3 took just just one week to reach a remote corner of Tasmania from the time I placed the order, which must be something of a record!

I’m exploring the Advanced V Carve capabilities of Carbide Create/Motion and encountering some difficulties. Can anyone assist? Documentation seems a bit thin on the ground.

I have attempted to use the advanced V cut feature on Carbide Create, as shown in the YouTube clip – “Carbide Create Gets a New Toolpath: Advanced Vcarve.” This is about all I can find on this capability. The first cut, which uses a 0.125” end mill to rough out the design, works fine. Then, when it pauses, I change to a 60 degree V cut blade (as in the video), and attempt to jog the machine to ensure that the Z axis is properly rezeroed for the new cutter to create a uniform base for the design. Once I move into the jog window, none of the commands appear to work and I am unable to proceed beyond this point. Nor can I resume cutting. All I can do is abort the operation. I am zeroing manually, unlike in the video, but otherwise (as far as I can see) doing exactly the same as in the video. Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?

Thanks folks!

you’re going to either need a bitsetter to automatically zero for you, or you need to split the gcode file into two.

splitting the file is not all THAT complicated, but needs a text editor (or an online tool that I want to write but haven’t done yet)… if that’s the path you want to go down I or others can quickly explain what to do there.

6 Likes

The video indicated that pocketing + v-carve requires bitsetter only.

No manual setting of Z after bit change and CC won’t split the job into 2 paths…

ok bit the bullet and built the app

at https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/javascript/gcodesplit.html you can load your “advanced v-carve” gcode, and it will split it into smaller files, one per tool, that you can then just carve one at a time. This allows you to zero the new bit using whatever method you normally use…

(the app runs inside your browser, nothing is uploaded to any server)

10 Likes

Thanks a lot for that - I’m having some other Shapeoko issues but will use your app just as soon as these are resolved.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.