Advice on digitizing templates

Hey everyone,

I am looking to digitize panels/templates. I am currently doing this with photographs using Inkscape or F360, but the process isn’t exactly efficient, and without a lot of careful setup or post processing, tends to lack accuracy. I find myself avoiding this option, despite my desire to transfer the work to CNC manufacture.

I’ve looked at some physical tablet digitizers, but they seem to be fairly expensive, and a bit cumbersome. I’ve also looked at stylus digitizers, like the Prodim, but was quoted around $30k. A Microscribe is pretty limited in work envelope, but could work, but again, about $10k. So photographic templating seems like the best option for a small time man like myself.

Photographic digitizing seems to be used extensively in the textiles and other industry, and there is a variety of commercial software offerings like Photo Modeler, Auto Metrix ect, but the stuff isn’t exactly cheap, and I have no experience with its effectiveness.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or the know how and inclination to create a digital tool to achieve accurate photographic digitized templates?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.