Advice on vCarve

Hi Folks,

Compliments of the season to all.

I have a piece of round Merbau (Hardwood - 600mm wide x 18mm thick).

Design in Carbide Create as the spec and I imported an SVG file.

Aimed for a 5mm depth so I could black epoxy and sand it back a little.

The cutter is a 302 60 degree Vbit.

I am experiencing a fair bit of tear out on the finer details of the wood (see photos).

Initially I looked at an engraver 30 degree Vbit - Amana 45771-K but the timing went from 76Mins to 1133 mins !

Kicked off with the V60 bit but had to stop it due to tear out. (speeds and feeds per the recommendations of carbide create). Router is a Makita RT0700C

Photos are numbers 1 to 6

Just looking for any type of advice here please.

My machine is a Shapeoko Pro XXL (2020 model)
Carbide Create 756
Carbide Motion 579

Can you post the file?
It’s hard to say why you got tear-out. I have had luck putting a thin coat of Shellac on the piece to help prevent tear-out.

It looks like your Z Zero is off (too Low). Did you surface the wood before you started the project?

Also, the V-Carve toolpath looks off. You are going to have some funny lines in the piece.
I suggest unselecting the circular Vector and recalculating the toolpaths.

hot rod allan.c2d (816 KB)

1 Like

Not sure what to make of the tearout but V carve will not be your friend with this picture. Dont select the circle perimeter and you might get closer using an advanced v carve toolpath and limiting the max depth. Or a contour toolpath with no offset. Realistically, I would try to find a better image to cut. There is just too much cleaning needed to get this picture where I would want it before cutting with any toolpath.

To me, your cut above does not look like it used either of the v carve toolpaths pictured. The cut around the windshield does not match the toolpaths.

3 Likes

classic_cars_028.zip (905.1 KB)

Thanks for the replies SDguy AND Bozo - will follow what you have suggested.

Images attached

The cirlce was put there (not to be cut) just to reference the size of the wood so I could centre it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The image seems fine for the details which it captures:

The problem becomes one of Figure-ground reversal — what is cut and what is left in relief?

Probably the most dramatic option would be to add geometry and cut as an Advanced V carving:

which mostly reads as expected.

There is some self-intersecting geometry:

which needs to be addressed:

which will fix the divot in the passenger-side tire:

Similarly, the glass and chrome elements should be inset so that they will not be cut so deeply:

Apply

Adding everything to the toolpath we get:

which seems reasonable.

Attached as a v7 file — please check and adjust the size and depth and stock setup and so forth and feeds and speeds — note that with a pocket clearing Advanced V carving toolpath a BitSetter will be needed.

classic_cars_028_v7.c2d (2.4 MB)

2 Likes

I’ve had a couple of similar car carve projects and found myself deleting a lot of the tiny repetitive details to speed things along and highlight the key points. For instance, your vertical tire lines may be sufficient for the effect. Eliminating the tread might prove helpful.

A lot depends on your final size, too. Smaller and your detail will be lost in a jumble. Larger leaves the detail but takes a long time. 846 minutes on the machine would make me crazy.

What a community ! The help here is actually outstanding.

WillAdams - thank you …amazing effort and appreciated.

HaroldO - great advice as well, thanks. Agree on the 846 minutes, but its the holidays here and I have the time :slight_smile:

Many thanks folks on all the great comments/advice.

Perfect.

Mike

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.