After installing Bitsetter and Bitzero machine stops in the middle of a job!

I have the Shapeoko 3XL and for the longest time I never used either probe, and today I decided to install them and try them out.
First the Bitsetter button was stuck and I fixed that, Carbide said that they would send me a new button. Ok that fixed it worked.
then I set up my job ran the program and then it just stopped, white screen of death that read connect to router or machine. It did that a few times and then I decided to disable the Bitsetter and before I ran the machine I decided to try the Bitzero, Had the clip on the cutter and let it do it’s thing. It touched and kept on going till I aborted the process. so I disabled that. Started running the program and it seemed to run fine< until I decided to turn on my dust collection.
I thought about an electrical problem and I will tackle that first. everything runs off the same circuit that could be the problem. I run the machine through a surge protector I’ll change that.
It just seems odd to me that after I installed those two probes that now I’m having these malfunctions.

Anyone have any thoughts that I didn’t think of?
I have a friend who’s well versed on these machines and hopefully he can help me if I can’t get it sorted.

Aram

Hi @hyeflyer,

You can try grounding your Shapeoko, which helps minimize or eliminate EMI related issues. Even before that, grounding your dust collection setup would be the very first step as this is a common cause. If you still have trouble, feel free to contact support@carbide3d.com and they’ll have recommendations for you on this issue.

There is probably no link between your using the BitSetter/BitZero and the occurrence of those problems, but sometimes EMI gremlins thrive on subtle changes in electrical/grounding arrangement

2 Likes

To add to Julien’s post, this is what I followed to solve my EMI problems.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

2 Likes

I actually watch this and will try it to see if it solves my problem.
As for the dust collection I have anti-static hose but my actual system is mobile a JET dust collector, I suppose that I could ground it somehow. I’ll look into ways to ground that. Thankyou for posting this for me to use.

1 Like

I grounded the machine but haven’t tested it yet with actual cutting. I did run the grounding test to verify that the machine was in fact grounded and I believe it is. I’ll run another project and confirm that I did it correctly. Thank you whom ever suggested this.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.