AIR CUTTING too high

This is really baffling me, My Shapeoko Pro XXL insists on cutting about a half inch too high. I’ve double checked the zero position several times and it is spot on, but when I try to run any job (including ones that I’ve successfully cut previously, and they two cut a about a half inch above where they should be) it air cuts…

This started when I had a problem with my secondary spoilboard and had to remove it. I decided to just go ahead with the factory spoilboard until I can get the material to fix the secondary board. I reset the zero point and from that point on, the z height is correct but the cutting height is not. I am assuming that there is something residual from before I removed the secondary s/b since the height that it is off is approximately the height of the secondary that I removed.

Is there something else I need to do in this circumstance besides resetting the zero point?

Strange. As long as the program knows how thick to part is…

Could you have adjusted the router height for the additional spoil board? Program knows where the zero point is, Top or Bottom and you are zeroing from the same.

Just going thru the things it could be

Let us know

Since you removed the secondary board, everything is now lower. Could you be running out of Z travel at the bottom, and losing steps?

3 Likes

Do you have your Z zero set at the bottom of your stock in your CAM program (Carbide Create)?

2 Likes

Thank you all for replying. I got frustrated yesterday cause I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, so I turned everything off and went in the house. Slept well and got up this morning.

Problem Solved. Since I didn’t know what is wrong, I fired everything up and ran the job again. Low and behold, no problem.

Moral of the story: When you’re old, don’t neglect your naps.

Thanks again for the replys.

4 Likes

having the same issue but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong , got the machine to cut one thing and been doing this every since

Which program are you using?

Usually this is caused by having the Z-origin set for the bottom of the stock in the file, but setting it at the top in Carbide Create — it can also be caused by bottom and having the stock thickness as too thick.

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.