Air cutting - why

I am trying to do my first wood inlay in vectric and for some reason, when I start to cut the male inlay, it wants to air cut (.18 above). I kind of think I see a problem but not sure what to do about it.

This requires a female cut starting at 0.0 and flat at 0.02 and a male cut at 0.18 and a flat at 0.02. This is according to a bunch of YouTube vids on the process.

when I try and run the male toolpath, it start above surface (probably .18in above) instead of on the surface. That would make since to me according to the start depth but does not jive with the instructions I’ve seen so far. I have verified my Z=0 at the surface.

This is the vid I’m trying to follow
https://www.youtube.com/live/zui8vL_SmVk?si=6UlEYdfpjCHsyVFz

I wanted to share my file with you but don’t see any way to do that.

You will need to zip up the Vectric file in order to be able to post it here.

hope this works. Here’s the zipped file

boxes.zip (253.8 KB)

Just in case there isn’t someone with Vectric able to look at the file — what we always suggest on support is making a pair of very simple files — one in the 3rd party software, a second, equivalent one in Carbide Create — if the Carbide Create file has the same problem, then we can assist with that and you can apply the fix to the 3rd party program.

I notice that, in the software, you have your z zero position set to Machine Bed. Is that where your Z is set? That is the #1 reason for air cutting.

I am guessing that you are setting the z on your shapeoko on the material surface. I don’t see the female side of this file. I think Vectric would recommend using one file with two sheets for an inlay, but I am not an authority on inlay work.

2 Likes

actually that’s a good point. Being the first time I’ve tried this, I think I remember something about another sheet in the same file. I think I need to watch a couple more videos to see what I may be missing, but it late in the day and I’m older than dirt so I will wait until tomorrow to look at this again.