Alcohol mist safe inside enclosure?

I’m nearly finished setting up my mist coolant system for my HDM, I just need to find what coolant to use. I’ve been meaning to use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix for cutting aluminum but since my HDM sits inside an enclosure I’m kind of worried about the flammability of the alcohol vapors. From what I could find online, everyone seems to be using a alcohol mist system without an enclosure.

I’ve decided to put the solenoid valves and pressure regulators outside to minimize the possibility of there being a spark coming from them. I’m also using four 120mm Noctua Industrial fans, two as intakes and two as exhausts that are piped outside. My enclosure has a volume of around 36 cubic feet, At 71 CF/M each I think the fans should provide enough airflow to stop the alcohol vapors from building up.

I’ve got a fire extinguisher right next to the CNC and am also planning to mount one of these on to the roof of the enclosure. It’s good for 50 cubic feet. Am I fine running alcohol mist with these precautions? I could alternatively use Trim Microsol 585xt, but it does leave a residue everywhere. Thanks

Just for grins, try to ignite a sample of the coolant in various quantities outside on a table.

1 Like

Perhaps a heat activated fire suppressant is what you want - https://www.statx.com/product/stat-x-fire-suppression-system-thermal-units/

3 Likes

Yeah 50/50 doesn’t ignite too well but I guess I’m just worried that I’ll step away for some time and something goes wrong. I think I should be fine but I wanted to get a second opinion

1 Like

I recommend using Kool Mist concentrate 77-1.

3 Likes

I ran some calculations with some help from AI, factoring in airflow from the fans, I will always be well under the 3.3% alcohol vapor -to-air ratio for flammability. With that being said though I still am going to take all the precautions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.