Alignment/Center

Looking for some help on how perfectly aligning this hole (circle) in between these 2 dotted lines. Essentially I made this small box with just a tight/snug fitting lid/top (& it works great like it should), however I’m now wanting to go back (making a new box the same way, with the same program but just out of a different species of wood) to add these magnets in there but am for whatever reason having a problem trying to center the holes where I need them to be. I grouped the box lip (2 dotted lines) & was able to center the hole(s) up & down (North & South) just fine where I want them, however whenever I try to center them side to side (West & East) they keep going to the center of the box, or the center of the stock. I’ve tried grouping & ungrouping the vectors & selecting the order I do it in several times & for whatever reason just not able to get these holes centered perfectly (side to side/West & East…. Between the 2 dotted lines) how they need to be. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m sure it’s super simple but am for whatever reason missing it. Please see pic(s) as reference for what I’m trying to do/need help with.

Thanks in advance

Draw a rectangle aligned with the nodes of the rectangle in question, then use the Align tool.

2 Likes

To add to what @WillAdams said you can change the grid size so it lines up with the exact width between the two rounded rectangles or half the width so you get a centered grid line in between the two lines… You can change the grid anytime or as many different dimensions as you want during your design. It might even work better if you made two rectangles that are half of the size between the lines and then when you place your circle it will line up on the middle node of the two rectangles.

Below is a grid spacing of .125". I made the two rectangles .25" apart. With the two boxes snapped to the grid that made an exact .125" line to help line up the circle on. Your project may be some off number like .19" but set your grid to half of .19" and move your rectangles to snap to the grid. Then you get that half of .19" grid to line up your circle for the magnet. You could then pick all 3 objects and center them up and down and group them and move them anywhere you want on the material.

To find out the exact spacing between your two rectangles use the measure tool.

4 Likes

Thank You Sir, I great appreciate yours & @WillAdams help & knowledge.

Your advice worked out great! Made this simple little ring box (with the added magnets) for my wife’s B-Day (that was yesterday). Nothing fancy, but it worked out perfectly. Thank You!

N

4 Likes