Aluminum table material

Hi. I got hooked up with an older SO3 by another forum member. The bed is DIY MDF and it is pretty warped now (likely me being careless in transit). I am looking to upgrade to an aluminum bed, and am trying to source aluminum in my area to avoid shipping charges. The closest supplier to me is a metal supermarket and they can do a plate of 1/2” mic-6 in the standard size for $240. Midwestern supply offers the same dimension ATP-5 for around $150 including shipping. Is there any major benefit to the MIC-6 vs the ATP-5 that’s worth the $100 up-charge?

1 Like

Having used both alloys I don’t see any reason to pay the extra money for a machine baseplate. Just make sure it’s flat.

1 Like

ATP-5 is better than MIC-6.
Melamine and MDF are flat too if they are properly supported (metal tubing, etc.)

1 Like

Thanks. Is one or the other easier to drill and tap?

Mic- 6 is likely insignificantly easier to drill and tap. 5/8" ATP-5 would be flatter than 1/2" too.

"ATP-5 and Mic-6 are both available in various gauge sizes that range from 1/4″ — 4″. Both of them are precision milled with a surface finish of 20 RMS or better. All gauges of both have a thickness tolerance of +/- .005″. ATP-5 has a flatness deviation of within .015″ for gauges 1/4″ – 1/2″ and within .005” on gauges of 5/8″ and up. Mic-6 has a flatness deviation of within .015″ for gauges 1/4″ – 5/8″ and within .005” on gauges of 3/4″ and up.

ATP-5’s typical yield is 18 ksi while Mic-6’s is 15 ksi. ATP-5’s elongation IN 2″ is 12 — 15% while Mic-6’s is 3%. ATP-5’s density is .096 lb. / in.3 while Mic-6 is .101 lb. / in.3.

ATP-5’s Brinell hardness score is 70 while Mic-6’s is 65. ATP-5 has excellent corrosion resistance and welding characteristics while Mic-6 scores poorly. ATP-5’s microstructure is virtually free of porosity while Mic-6 has a porous microstructure."

1 Like

Thanks! It looks like ATP-5 is the way to go.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.