Am I cutting too fast?

Playing around yesterday, saw this weird “two toned” effect. This is 1/4" maple, cutting with 1/4" endmill, 27000rpm at 100ipm per gwizard, two passes. Am I cutting to fast? Is the darker look of the second pass scorch marks? Thanks.

1 Like

On wood you will seldom need to turn your router about the #1 setting. I normally cut plywood at 75ipm at the #1 setting which i think is 16,000 rpm. If using a 1/4 inch endmill, you can get to about .125 in depth of cut (DOC) but I normally set DOC at .1 inch.

2 Likes

That’s how I had done wood before as well. Maybe I’m not using gwizard correctly since I just started trying it, but that was the output.

I find that GWizard likes to recommend very high RPM values. I usually select the RPM myself and let it calculate everything else. For wood I would go 16-18K and for plastic 10-12K. I’m using Super-PID and the Dewalt.

It seems to work fine and is much quieter.

1 Like

Yes, the darker is some burning. It’s funny, if you look at the packages of most “wood working” router bits of the ~1/4" diameter range, they’ll tell you to run them as fast as your router can go :slight_smile: Not saying it’s right, just interesting.

You need to either slow your spindle down based on your feed rate, or you need to speed up your feed rate to eliminate the burning.

1 Like

Yes , is fast cut , bad for the tool and S3 !. The protocolo is slow to fast , don’t forget Kris .

27000rpm on 1/4" is too high. Also how many flutes does the endmill have. I use 2 flute keep my rpm at 1600 and run from 70 to 110 on feedrate and get good results. You should also check to make sure your tool isn’t dull as this can cause rubbing which will burn wood.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely back it off. The endmill is almost new, so pretty sure dulling isn’t the issue. Here’s my problem though, how do I know when not to trust gwizard? Planning on moving into aluminum soon which I’m sure is less forgiving than wood.