Amana Tool 45525

Hello again!
I’ve surfaced some oak and purple heart today with 0.25mm DOC (0.01" roughly) 20 IPM and I’m getting quite a bit of burning on the surface?
I increased the feed rate and that seemed to reduce it slightly but would need to be something like 40imp or more to remove completely! What settings do I need to adjust to reduce it further?
Thanks!

I think burning = rubbing = insufficient chip load (cutter not working hard enough)

Slow down rpm on the spindle, or increase feed rate to get a better chip load

2 Likes

Yup lower rpm or more feedrate

You can generally trade feedrate for depth of cut… if the cutter struggles with higher feedrate you can reduce doc.

1 Like

Thanks Guys,
Went lowest RPM on my router and up to 40IPM, still burning but less so a quick 80 grit with the sander cleaned them up quickly!

Which machine? Which Z?
I’d think you could triple that feedrate with such a low depth of cut.

I am using an XXL with a Z-Plus - Ball screw not belt driven

The Z doesn’t even matter much. Cutting that shallow with a big bit, you should be able to go over 100ipm easily. If you’re cautious, start at 80ipm and use the feed override to go up or down from there. I’m less cautious. I’d start at at least 120ipm and know it’d be fine (and then be violently reminded that I left a 1-2-3 block in the way for some reason).

4 Likes

ill keep that in mind, I am very new to this! I am curious how I can get smoother cuts in Birch Ply with a V-Bit though if you have any tips? using 60 and 90 Insert V-Bits from Amana Tool.

plywood… often benefits from a “scoring” with a downcut thin bit, basically you trace the inside of the lines so that you break the surface smoothly (downcut) and give the wood a place to fracture that;s clean instead of random

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.