AMB router failed

I just got an AMB Milling Motor 8000 FME-Q DI 110V, german make, needed a mounting plate adjusted, all fine, what waw I proud. All that to avoid the hassle with a z-variable dust shoe, and the issue with brushes in the spindle, thought would be long-life investment. Even got a low noise vacuum (nice piece that) for long hours running.

It was NOT. With my first piece with that thing it stopped working in the middle of the work piece after possibly 6h of running.

I am a German, and really wanted to be proud of German technology and make. Disappointed. That probably is a thing of the past.

With just double the price now I get the VFD from Carbide3d.

Doesn’t AMB offer a warranty?

Did you consider a Mafell? That’s what I’ve been using:

(well, the FM 1000 WS quick-change version)

Please note that the 65mm diameter 1.2KW VFD from Carbide 3D is 110V only.

We do have an 80mm mount and spindle for the SO5 Pro in development, but no idea if it will work in 220V locales.

Will try to contact them for a warranty return. Then I have another spindle.

So I am a German, but live for 10+ years now in upstate New York, therefore I just ordered the Carbide 3d VFD. Unfortunately the Mafell FM 1000 PV-WS device is not available for 110V, and I love the idea to automatically set the spindle rotation speed. I carve different materials, like richlite, and that is very “sensitive” to specific settings.

Thanks for the extremely fast response. Don’t you guys need some sleep sometimes at the west coast? :slight_smile:

Will never sleeps. He is a a machine.

2 Likes

I live on the East Coast, and I sleep all-too much (just ask my wife).

There is a PV-WS version of the Mafell (a similar one is available for the Kress) which allows speed control — that said, I find using it w/ a BitRunner (for on/off) and a 220V transformer works well — I have both plugged into a dedicated 20-amp outlet. I just set up my files so that all toolpaths require the same speed setting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.