Amplifier backplate w/diamond drag bit

(Jeremy Brown) #1

Did this for someone, turned out pretty good. I gave the guy samples of different stepover settings for the drag bit. He actually wanted .0125 which to me seemed to course.

12 Likes

(matthew ) #2

Looks great!

Can you say anything about your feeds/speeds for the acrylic, and where you got your acrylic from? I have had mixed results in cutting – some comes out great and some is a melted mess.

0 Likes

(William Adams (Carbide 3D)) #3

One consideration on acrylic is that method of manufacture can make a difference — cast (usually comes covered w/ adhesive paper on each side) cuts easily while extruded (usually has a plastic film on each side) is difficult to cut.

1 Like

(Jeremy Brown) #4

Will is correct,

I use Cast Acrylic, it’s not something you can get at a home improvement stores.

Feeds was 50 inch/min plunge rate 10 inch/min, depth per pass was .07", speed was 3.5 on a dewalt.
I used a 2 flute bit

Drag bit settings were 100 inch/min and the depth/pressure was .25"

I purchased it on Amazon

3 Likes

(Jeff Marks) #5

I get all of my cast acrylic from estreetplastics. Almost half the price compared to Amazon. Great service and they deliver very fast. 24" by 48" 1/4" thick is about $38.99. Amazon is $54.05

https://www.estreetplastics.com/Clear-Plexiglass-Acrylic-Sheets-1-4-Thick-s/28.htm

4 Likes

(Clifford Land) #6

if you are local to NOLA area you can get some cast acrylic sheets at Hub hobbies. just ask. Johnson plastics has / had some good pricing as well.

1 Like

(Nathaniel Klumb) #7

If only you’d said that a few days ago. I could’ve dropped by there when mb and I drove down from BTR to see Hamilton at the Saenger on Tuesday. Well, I’ll just not show mb jmarks’ cool Saints light-up just yet. :grin:

0 Likes