Amplifier backplate w/diamond drag bit

Did this for someone, turned out pretty good. I gave the guy samples of different stepover settings for the drag bit. He actually wanted .0125 which to me seemed to course.

12 Likes

Looks great!

Can you say anything about your feeds/speeds for the acrylic, and where you got your acrylic from? I have had mixed results in cutting – some comes out great and some is a melted mess.

One consideration on acrylic is that method of manufacture can make a difference — cast (usually comes covered w/ adhesive paper on each side) cuts easily while extruded (usually has a plastic film on each side) is difficult to cut.

1 Like

Will is correct,

I use Cast Acrylic, it’s not something you can get at a home improvement stores.

Feeds was 50 inch/min plunge rate 10 inch/min, depth per pass was .07", speed was 3.5 on a dewalt.
I used a 2 flute bit

Drag bit settings were 100 inch/min and the depth/pressure was .25"

I purchased it on Amazon

3 Likes

I get all of my cast acrylic from estreetplastics. Almost half the price compared to Amazon. Great service and they deliver very fast. 24" by 48" 1/4" thick is about $38.99. Amazon is $54.05

https://www.estreetplastics.com/Clear-Plexiglass-Acrylic-Sheets-1-4-Thick-s/28.htm

4 Likes

if you are local to NOLA area you can get some cast acrylic sheets at Hub hobbies. just ask. Johnson plastics has / had some good pricing as well.

1 Like

If only you’d said that a few days ago. I could’ve dropped by there when mb and I drove down from BTR to see Hamilton at the Saenger on Tuesday. Well, I’ll just not show mb jmarks’ cool Saints light-up just yet. :grin: