Another Boolean Not Showing Up Question

Hey gang…I did a search and found that others have had similar questions…but none of the answers seems to help me. I think this is simple, but it’s not.

I imported a subway tile pattern as an SVG, grouped all of it’s pieces. Then I want to cover the lid of a box with the subway tile pattern. So I created a rectangle, selected the pattern, selected the box and looked for the boolean options. They don’t show up. CC knows it has multiple objects selected, because it’s offering to align them, but it does not offer the option to use one to cut the other. Why?

Here is what it looks like:

The bricks are one object, the box is a second.

If I put another box on the canvas and overlap them and select the two boxes only, the boolean options show up. But not the subway pattern.

I also tried ungrouping the pattern down to its lowest level and then selecting all…no love.

What am I missing?

Boolean operations only work on closed paths — is the grid pattern when not selected magenta?

Yes…magenta. What does that mean?

Magenta indicates that the paths are open, not closed.

@GJM I’d recommend adding Inkscape to your toolbox. This could be handled there.

Correct. You’d expand the strokes, union them, then do the Boolean intersection.

2 Likes

I have inkscape installed…I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

FYI: I created a new pattern using just Carbide squares, joining each of them until I had the pattern I wanted. I was able to get the boolean options to show up, but was unable to cut the contents of the patterns with the shape of the box. I think I need to create a negative space object from the box and the outer dimensions of the pattern and then boolean subtract that object from the overall to leave me with the pattern in the box. We’ll see if that works as well.
More tomorrow when the Vodka wears off…

You have to use logic and since Carbide Create doesn’t support composite objects have to recreate the geometry used for this each time. Using a tool such as Inkscape which supports composite objects will be much more efficient.

Is it possible to create a square with a hole in it in CC? I create two concentric squares that share a center, but do not touch, and I’m able to see boolean objects, but to subtract the inner square from the outer square, such that the outer square has a square hole in it doesn’t seem to work. Am I correct in this conclusion?

EDIT: For example:

Pressing Boolean subtract seems to do nothing. It just leaves the rectangles selected and the dashes are in the same place. Boolean Union makes them both go away and Boolean intersection leaves the center square. Both, I would expect. However, subtraction does not leave a hole, as I would expect. If I select the outer square and put a toolpath on it, it’s clear that the middle has not been cut away

A hole is relative. :slight_smile:

Select both squares then do pocket.

I actually know that, @CrookedWoodTex, unfortunately, I’m trying to create a square with a hole in it to use as a template to cut away a pattern to the outside of the rectangle. However, I think the intersection may work…I’m still working this this morning.

One more try at this with examples…maybe this will make it clearer:
I’ve created the subway tile pattern using CC Boxes. I’ve joined them together as a single object and they are closed, because they are black when unselected:

Now, I add a square in the middle

I deselect, then select the grid and then the square. I’d like to do a Boolean Intersection, to get an inner square’s worth of bricks…but, as you can see, Boolean Intersection is not an option here.

I also tried to select both objects in the other order (square first, then brick) and I get the same exact options.

Union and Subtract do not do what I want, regardless of the order of selection. I feel kind of stuck.

FYI: I did this in Lightburn and was successful in creating what I wanted exported it as an SVG and brought it into CC - but that should not be necessary!

Post the file here — the problem is Carbide Create doesn’t support composite geometry — it will be a tedious and repetitive thing.

Subway Tile with CC Objects.c2d (383.9 KB)
Here’s the bare minimum file…please don’t spend inordinate amounts of time on this…I can do it in other products and import the SVG (already done)…I was just trying to get a handle on the way CC works - or doesn’t work, in this case.

Do you think Carbide3d will consider this an area for improvement of the product?

1 Like

I’ll put it in as a feature request.

Start be deleting everything you don’t need:

For each brick you need to trim select the limiting geometry and duplicate it:

drag it back into alignment, select the piece you want to trim:

and do Boolean Intersection:

repeat until everything is done.

Yes. Select both squares and assign a Toolpath, see:

Thanks. I do hope Carbide chooses to add this capability. For this project, I created the pattern in InkScape, saved it as an SVG and PNG (so I could use it for a variety of other uses), loaded that PNG into LightBurn, traced it, and created the box top (because it’s really easy in LB), exported the design as an SVG, loaded that into CC and added my offsets and toolpaths.

This is what I ended up with:

And the box cut out like this (NOT sanded or finished YET):

1 Like

Again, the purpose wasn’t to create a toolpath between the squares…it was to create a mask to try to subtract out everything except the center square from the pattern…An intermediate step to try to NOT have to do it square by square.

As noted previously, that doesn’t work since Carbide Create doesn’t support composite geometry.

Yes…got it. I hope Carbide considers it!