Another Carve Question

Hi All,
I know I have to be patient. I know it will take a lot of time and practice to really get this down. I watch endless videos. Read forums and take notes, but I can’t help but feel so defeated. This is the 4th attempt at this simple, stupid sign for a friend.

I’ve attached the simulation and my toolpath. It cut way deeper and doesn’t resemble the simulation. I tired it once with just a vcarve path. I wasn’t crazy about it because of the crazy angles within the font. So I did an Advanced vcarve, pocketing with 1/16", then a 60 vbit. It’s a Groovee Jenny bit, but I used the Carbide presets.

My first thought was that it was a z zero issue, but I did it by hand. I usually get better results hand zero-ing when carving. I have the bitsetter and they do prompt the tool changes.

Any insight would be so appreciated. I hate feeling this stupid.

Where is the origin defined in the file?

I don’t know what you mean by that. Again, I always feel so stupid. :frowning:

In Job Setup (gear icon)

there’s an option for Stock Thickness | Zero Height | Top/Bottom:

if you set it for bottom, but set origin at top, then it will plunge too deep.

We have an article on most of the software/user issues which cause this:

the other possible causes are mechanical (lack of lubrication, mechanical interference) or electronic (intermittent wiring fault) causing loss of steps on retract.

I would suggest setting up a basic test cut where you face off a pocket:

then put a test V carving at the bottom of that pocket:

which previews as:

Let us know what you find out and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

No - I had it set to the top.

I did go back and re-zeroed in case, but it’s still wonky. I’m going to go through the steps you posted. I think it may be that because I was having some success with the v-carving.

I’m very much grateful for your help. I know it’s not the machine, but rather the user. LOL!

For using the BitZero, note that there are two different ways to position the units (see the instructions and the images in Carbide Motion) and see:

Is your stock flat? It’s possible to pick up on a low spot and it’ll carve deeper in the high spots. Is it cupped in any way?

1 Like

Hi Brian,

That was one of my thoughts, but it’s consistently going deep. I have had that issue but you can kind of tell because one side is deeper or more shallow.

Thank you so much for responding with some help. :slight_smile:

Hey Will - quick question…After I pocket, do I reset the Z to that pocket before testing, since it will be slightly lower?

Thanks!

No, do not reset the Z-axis — the point to this experiment is to verify that given a surface which is known to be in-plane with the motion of the machine a V carve works properly — that this surface is lower is taken into account in the toolpath’s Start Depth.

Basically the potential causes of this problem are:

• didn’t tram the surface of the machine — stock is unlevel, origin set at low point, so plunges too deeply at the higher points
  • stock is uneven in thickness — origin set at a low point, so plunges too deeply at higher points
  • origin not set relative to stock so as to match how it is set in the file, e.g., positioning a BItZero as for probing all 3 axes and probing only for Z, so the depth is lower by the lip on the unit — see the blog link
  • steps lost on retract, either by excessive retract height, mechanical interference (a cable or dust hose), or high tooling engagement, or lack of lubrication — usually this is accompanied by an awful noise
  • mechanical issue such as lack of lubrication
  • electrical wiring fault — usually such lost steps are accompanied by an awful noise

I’m not certain, but can’t an improperly set limit switch also cause lost steps on retract?

No, the switches only function as homing switches, hard limits are disabled by default.

Ok, then please disregard!

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 5.34.44 PM
So I thought I’d give it another shot. We’ve been super busy so this is the first chance I’ve had. This was the file.

And this is how it was cutting, so I stopped it. It was way too deep again.

So, I followed your test and showed like this:
Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 5.28.49 PM

The carve was the worst yet.

I did set the start height to 0.125 (same as the pocket).

In between the other v carve and this one, I may have messed up the bitsetter. :frowning: I had it running when it when to set. So I don’t know at this point. This is what the bitsetter looks like now.

I’m just so frustrated. We got this to pretty much do contour stuff for my Etsy shop. And it’s been great!!! We love it. But anything beyond a contour cut, we can’t do. And I’m so frustrated and ready to just give up and accept the fact that this isn’t gonna to happen. I really just want to make signs for gifts for family and friends, but I’ve wasted SOOO much time doing this.

Again…I’m grateful it’s saving me time (and money) with my etsy items, but I really was hoping to get a bit more from it. Yes, the board was flat. I got a really nice and flat piece of alder wood.

I know I sound whiny, but any guidance would help.

To confirm — the machine is mechanically sound and you have sent the correct Z-axis configuration?

That first cut looked like a good start and seems to match — why not let it finish?

Please post a .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a series of photos showing your overall machine setup, and the details of how the part is clamped in place and where the cut went wrong.

Hi Michelle,

If the bit you are using’s angle is larger than 60 when CC expects a 60 you might get a similar carve. Maybe double check the bit’s dimensions and how it compares to the Carbide presets you are using for it to confirm CCs toolpath is made for the bit you are using.

Have you confirmed how deep the carve is? Does it just look deep but is actually just too wide because of the reason above. You could jog your bit to the surface and write down the Z number. Then jog your v bit to the 'D" and slowly lower it to the bottom of the carve for the Z depth reading.

Curious to know how these check out because I had trouble once with V carving but it went away on its own :thinking:

I sometimes notice my v carving and pockets go a little deeper then expected as well, at least compared to the CC simulation. Contours are usually fine strangely enough. 2 things you could try is setting your z zero slightly higher then you normally would or in CC set your max depth of cut to be a little less deep and see if that brings you closer to what you’re trying to achieve.

I didn’t think the one sign was matching the simulation at all. I was looking at the R and A. In the carving they are meeting, where they aren’t in the simulation.

Unfortunately, I didn’t save that file with the really bad “Text” cut. :frowning: I added to a project I was doing (the other side of the craftsman) and when I closed it, I didn’t save it.

I have to find some time to try this again on scrap and I’ll save everything, etc.

I think it’s all sound, but I really need to put out some sort of request to see if there is someone in the Myrtle Beach, SC area who could take a look to make sure it’s trammed properly, etc. I’d be willing to pay someone to come out to take a look (and even pay travel and feed them!). My husband is pretty good making sure the belts are okay and can troubleshoot most issues, but we would need help fine tuning any other underlying issues…and to answer some questions we have. I try to find the answers in this and other forums, but it’s very overwhelming.

I do have problems sometimes with Contour, but that’s 100% bowed wood, not the machine.

Thank you for your time. :slight_smile: :grinning:

Hi! Thanks so much for your input. It is appreciated. :slight_smile: :grinning:

I was using the Carbide 60 degree V…with their preset.

I’m sorry, but could you explain this a bit more to me? You could jog your bit to the surface and write down the Z number. Then jog your v bit to the 'D" and slowly lower it to the bottom of the carve for the Z depth reading.

So you mean to have the bit right at the surface (like I’m zeroing) and right down that Z number…but i’m lost with the rest.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Good Morning, Chris - thank you so much for this.

Normally, when someone give me advice, I’m lost! LOL!

But this makes total sense to me. I have to play around more.

And yes, it’s so weird. I cut a ton of stuff yesterday (just contour) and it was perfect. A couple of things were off, but that was totally the wood not being flat.

This piece here was a really flat and nice piece of wood. I manually zeroed all 3 with the 60 degree bit. I even erred on the conservative side for the Z. Good to hear others have experienced this.

I’ve watched some videos and some say to set D to “stock bottom”, which makes no sense to me. In this file it was the preset of 0.070. i have to take some time and try your suggestions.

Thank you so much for your time.