Another day, another failure

Today’s effort was also a failure.

It was about 15% complete, when the Nomad stopped moving - the cutter was spinning in place, but there was no further motion. In retrospect, I think it’s possible that the driving computer had gone to sleep, but when I noticed, I thought perhaps a belt had come loose or something, so I went for the emergency stop.

There’s a timelapse recording of this: https://youtu.be/nGAXg3tuecg

Now, the other thing, I let the Carbide AutoScript generate the toolpath. But it seems I have incorrect step-over, or some other issue. I can guarantee the stock was not moving (I had it bolted down quite securely). Or is this a sign of the cutter getting dull, perhaps?

Weird, I had a pretty unexplained failure too today where the nomad didn’t behave as expected. Would be interesting to find out what causes these. If you use a Mac, try caffeine from the AppStore, it’s free and prevents the Mac from going to standby. Oh and here is the link to my post http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30324485/community.carbide3d.com?p=eyJzIjoiVmhnbnktczMzLW55N29XQWN4engxSVNwcHBRIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDMyNDQ4NSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvY29tbXVuaXR5LmNhcmJpZGUzZC5jb21cXFwvdFxcXC94LWF4aXMtb2ZmLWluLXNvbWUtY2FydmluZ3MtZXNwZWNpYWxseS1sb25nZXItb25lc1xcXC8xNjhcXFwvNVwiLFwiaWRcIjpcIjUyNGNlMTUxZTFiMjRiMzg4OWQ5MGRlNmVkMjQxY2RhXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiNjc3MjY4Mzk4MTQ0Njg0ZTI4ZTZjZTk2MjA0NzdhNTNhZjM1ZmI0M1wiXX0ifQ

Thanks for the Caffeine reference, Oliver. I’m now (nearly) certain that the computer sleeping was the problem last go-around.

I managed to have a successful carve!

Now I think I need to track down a better source of hardwood. This was part of a “hardwood assortment pack” from Blick art supplies. I think it’s red oak. It’s not really very hard as woods go.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good hardwood sources?

Thanks,
Samuel

1 Like

Good to hear! looks good!

I am currently trying to figure out an issue that pops up sometimes where the X axis gets suddenly moved by some inches to the left (towards the probe). I am running the same job again to see if the issue comes back. I always have been using Cafeeine to prevent the Mac from sleeping, and i thought that had solved all the issues, until yesterday where the issue with the X axis being off came back.

Back to troubleshooting… Let us know please too if you have the same issue again even though Cafeeine is running.