Another open vector issue

I purchased some very complex plans and when i import into carbide create i get open vectors. Im told the plans import fine in other CNC programs but i use carbide create. Does the paid version of carbide create import properly? or am i doomed to try to fix countless open vectors? Id try fusion 360 but my mac is just old enough it wont run. not sure of others to try

Without looking at your file, I can only guess based on what I’ve seen in support over the years.

There are a lot of people selling old DXF files that were made for printing as a pattern to manually cut out (clock people seem to be the biggest offender that I’ve seen). Many of the files that I’ve been sent are so bad when you zoom in that they’re almost unusable in a CNC application with big gaps and overlapping segments.

I’ve heard from users that they’re told that the “files import fine in other programs” but I’m pretty sure they import the same way. Small gaps are easy enough to fix but the ones that have been sent in usually have bigger problems.

This is a long way to say, we can take a look at your file but, in general, the files I’ve seen are fundamentally flawed in that they’re made to look OK when printed but were not made for CNC where you need continuous vectors.

Often just using the “Join Vectors” command twice works. If it doesn’t a bit of manual node editing will address this.

If you still have difficulty, please send the file in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this w/ you.

well took me 2 hours to fix two parts. but is doable. thanks guys for the tips

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.