Another toolpath question about cutting steel

Hi: I wanted to know if there’s a toolpath I can use to enlarge the hole by 3/16" in the steel plate in the attached picture ( I use Fusion 360). I have 1/8" 4T coated bits that I think will do the job. I’d like to go in sideways and enlarge with the side of the bit. All of the metal I’ve done to date has been aluminum where I’ve ramped in contour cuts.

thanks

By 3/16? Or to 3/16"?

My inclination would be to just use a reamer (hand tool for opening up holes to specific dimensions)

Adaptive would be a winner imo, pick the pocket contour, drop it all the way in and just let it cut air in the middle. Chiploads can be pretty small on a tool like that 0.0005 and use your spindle minimum rpm. Wd-40 will help with heat management and lubrication as well.

1 Like
  1. What is the existing diameter of the hole?

2. How thick is the material at the hole?

3. What is the speed range of your spindle?

4. Any idea what type of steel?

Hi: Here are some answers:

1. existing hole is 16 mm, it needs to be 22mm.
  2. 9mm at the hole, which is just about the size of my bit (which is 3/8 or 9.5mm)
  3. 10-20,000 RPM (a Makita router)
  4. I suspect it is a heat treated steel.

It is the rear disk brake mounting bracket for a vehicle I’m converting to an EV. I could remake it out of mild steel or aluminum too, but I thought if it was feasible I’d try my CNC.

I have some mild steel things I want to mill (mostly precise sized holes in 1/16" stock, see attached photo)

so any suggestions on that would be appreciated too.

With high spindle speed, a not-so-rigid machine, and possibly hardened material, you might have to approach it like high-speed mold machining (taking a small bite, but feeding quickly). Depending on how much money is at stake in the part (and what kind of tolerances you’re trying to hold on the finished hole), it may be less risky to find a small machine shop or someone with a knee mill at home and pay them to bore it out with a boring head.

Also, be careful modifying brake components. If you’re making a hole larger, that means you’re reducing the remaining material around the hole. That reduced wall could fail under heavy braking and potentially lead to an accident.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.