Any integrated circuit people here? I need help

My disability requires me to use an over head lift to transfer to and from my wheelchair to bed / shower. My lift remote shorted out sending me into the wall last week and the replacement was $350.00. It’s a simple 6 button pendant wired to a 4 wire phone jack plug. The price pissed me off so bad I spent 4 hours meticulously cutting and machining away the casing to extract the PCB that was designed to never see the light of day after assembly. Luckily once I milled off the casing, a 3 hour soak in 90% rubbing alcohol allowed me to separate the board from its secondary frame and remove all the commercial adhesive to expose the bottom half of the PCB traces and allow me to identify the 6 surface mount diodes they used and reverse engineer the design and make my own board. This way I won’t get robbed again for something that might cost $10.00-$15.00 to make in a commercial setting.

I have designed simple circuit boards in the past for small sip and puff motor drivers for micro linear actuators I use on my garden trimming shears to prune my plants but I don’t have the knowledge to know what could be a suitable substitute for the diode they used.

What I need help with is finding a through hole substitute or a larger package size surface mount for this SD103AWS SCHOTTKY BARRIER DIODE as I can not solder that small of a surface mount chip.

I have designed simple circuit boards in the past for small sip and puff motor drivers for micro linear actuators I use on my garden trimming shears to prune my plants but I don’t have the knowledge to know what could be a suitable substitute for the diode they used.

If anyone could help me find a suitable substitute would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

The SD103A-TR is what you want. It’s the same diode, just in a through-hole format.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/vishay-general-semiconductor-diodes-division/SD103A-TR/3104157

5 Likes

You could alternatively consider having the board assembled for you. JLCPCB has free assembly right now, so you wouldn’t have to do any soldering at all, at least for surface mount components.

7 Likes

Oh wow! That’s an incredible deal. I haven’t made a board in a couple years but I wish I needed to.

Thank you Sir! I’m looking forward to producing my own remote alternative as $350.00 for something so simple is beyond despicable and is a prime example of what is WRONG with the medical industry.

1 Like

That’s a crazy good price. I have been using OSH park for years to get my boards made and their site makes sharing board files free and easy but I will look into JLCPCB in the future.

This is the Sip-n-Puff reacher I co developed for quadriplegics. I designed the motor driver board that controls the micro linear actuator that opens and closes the jaws.

6 Likes

That’s super cool! My aunt would have loved one of these if she was still alive. She had polio and was wheelchair-bound for the rest of her life.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.