Assistance on File - heart shaped box

Trying to create this heart shaped box on my own but I am now at wits end. Have completed a normal box on my own in oak
HeartBox.c2d (1020 KB)
, but I am drawing blanks on several steps and am at a roadblock. Hoping the hive mind can help assist with this file. I know my toolpaths are off and would like to just cut the whole thing with the 201. I also know I need to do some circle and boolean subtract the pointy part. I am hoping for some assistance this evening so I can get to cutting quicker. Thank you in advance - I am trying to get the right one to fit inside the left and cutting into purple heart…

So, If I am reading this right, you want to ‘nest’ two hearts, and want to cut everything with a 1/4" bit, correct?

To get rid of the ‘pointy’ bit, I would use the Offset Vectors trick. Inset by just over 1/2 the width of the bit, then offset by the same amount. This will turn your pointy bits into curves that the #201 will fit into. I used 0.130".

I’ve put the ‘radiused’ vectors into a new layer (bright green) so they are easier to see.
|
HeartBox.c2d (1.1 MB)

Now, for fitting clearance, you may also want to offset one of the vectors a small amount to allow then to fit together easier, an exercise left to the reader.

2 Likes

Easier than any sort of editing is to start at the smallest/innermost size, then inset by the radius of the tool you are using plus 10%, then offset from there to the outside — offsetting to the outside is always rounded off by the radius — this will ensure that the tool will fit.

A further consideration is that you are cutting deeper than the cutting flutes on the tool you are using.

You should consider adding offset geometry and cutting as a pocket down to tab height and possibly using a long reach tool.

2 Likes