Aviation plugs and VFD spindles - beware!

Carbide’s VFD spindle, like many others, uses a large 4-pin aviation connector to connect the spindle to the cable. I have the Carbide version, but I recently also gained a non-Carbide spindle (externally almost identical, very similar parameters) from a friend who was moving over to a 220V water-cooled type and no longer needed it. We thought this might be a useful spare. However, I wanted to make sure that the wiring was compatible before storing it, in case of problems. I also wanted to check that the housing was grounded, since there have been reports of non-grounded ones.
Checking with a resistance meter, both have the ground connection on pin 4 (good so far). What is NOT good though, is that the aviation plug on the Carbide cable/spindle uses a numbering system that differs from any other I’ve seen in the past. Most of these connectors number sequentially 1-2-3-4 (clockwise from the notch, looking at the pin end).
Spindle pin numbering

Carbide’s plug numbers reading the same way are 1-3-4-2. That places the ground pin in a totally different position. Beware!

7 Likes

What is the functional implication of this? Are you saying that the Carbide VFD can’t take a different spindle as-is, that re-wiring has to occur?

Yep. Test the ground pin position on the connector before using any non-Carbide spindle on a Carbide VFD or vice versa.

I thought this thread was going to be about the absence of a ground (earth) on some spindles. I acquired a GDZ-65-800A and it only had 3 wires soldered to the back of the socket so I had to open the spindle cap and fit a safety protection wire. I am going to post a whole thread about the process of getting this spindle and VFD working safely.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.