Ball joint Doll

Would it be possible to make a ball joint doll/ puppets on a Nomad?

I didn’t know puppets had balls. Can’t see them through the clothing I suppose.

4 Likes

Ha ha.
I mean either or kind of figures.

Sure. Why not? It would take several setups for each part to do ball joints.

More details about what you want to do will lead to more complete/detailed answers.

2 Likes

I wasnt sure if I would be better off making a mold for the parts using something like wax.
Things like the face are detailed naturally.
so making the body parts as half parts then putting them together then taking a mold/castin from that.
I know other people use 3d printers but with all the supports and finishing needed I thought why not just use the Nomad.

IMO, the number of part you will need to create, if you don’t have a 4th axis is going to make this project VERY challenging, an order of magnitude over 3D printing.

In 3D, you can create each part and assemble with pre-made balls instead of relying on supports.

Edit: Printing your 3D doll lying down would also reduce the need for support.

2 Likes

So essentially you are saying I would be better off using a 3d printer?
Any recommendations please?

A 3D printer would be easier — if the material which you wish to make the doll out of is suited for 3D printing, or if one is willing to 3D print either an original or a mold for casting.

A Nomad is going to afford one more material options.

What is the intended end product?

How tight do the joints need to be?

Should the doll stand on its own?

What material would the dolls ideally be made of?

1 Like

The short answer is yes. While it would be possible to make the ball joint doll with a CNC, making each part requires a 4th or 5th axis to turn the part so all sides can be milled. This is not required for an additive process like 3D printing. While the Shapeoko/Nomad can have a 4th axis, this may not be sufficient for milling the ball joints. As a result, this process would add a lot of complexity in designing and milling. each part individually.

It is like building a model ship in a bottle, it is possible but not the most efficient and easy way to build a model ship.

thanks guys you have answered my thoughts, I basically need a 3d printer, frankly I cant be doing with messing with those things lol, so I will skip it.
I did think I would be able to make things in halves and create a cast from them, but to be fair balls can just be bought cheaply in different sizes so it would be pointless reinventing the wheel.