Ball nose with Text

Hi yall,

I’m trying to engrave some letters into acrylic and I cant seem to find the right way to do this. I tried using 3d and vcarve but vcarve wont accept a ballnose cutter and the 3d has a lot of stepover raised areas. Is the only way to engrave with a ball nose, to do it with a single line font and no offset contour pass? Any tricks to offset a font so that it follows the center line(like the middle of of the text) like how carbide adds the middle line pass when you do a vcarve? I’ll try a vcarve test in the morning with a swapped out ball nose mill even if it doesnt want me to.

Thanks

You can change stepover by editing the tool selection. The change is temporary for that toolpath. Every time you select the tool you have to change stepover. You could make a custom tool with the parameters you want. Just copy what the stock tool does but change what you want.

1 Like

The appearance of a V carving toolpath w/ a ball-nosed endmill will be wrong and distorted.

There’s a third-party tool, F-Engrave which does this — the required toolpaths are quite different.

Best thing is to inset the geometry of the font as much as is possible:

then use a no-offset contour toolpath:

The ‘ZNiko’ font is designed to be cut using a no-offset contour operation. Although actually an outline font, it is extremely ‘skinny’, and so cuts almost exactly like a single line (‘stick’ ) font.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.