Ball screw conversion

Ball screw conversion

I’m interested to know what’s involved in converting a nomad 3 to ball screw, and if there a kit available.

Also if accuracy of the machine is improved after doing this modification

Because of the size of ball screws, their associated hardware, the diameter of ball screw nuts, and bearings needed, you would basically need to modify the entire machine except for maybe the… well, no, pretty much everything. I can access parts to a Nomad completely disassembled, and even then I would not want to take on a project like this. As far as I know, there’s no way there exists a simple bolt on conversion kit for a project of this ambition. You could maybe do like a Z axis mod, but beyond that is asking for trouble.

4 Likes

But Why? - Reaction GIFs

1 Like

@Moded1952 did a bunch of modifications to his Nomad but eventually moved on to a custom machine of his own making. You can look at his stuff to see how it went.

2 Likes

I’m weighing up options to see if it’s worth me buying a nomad3, I would be cutting metal 95% of the time, and lead screw machines are no where near as accurate as ball screw.
It’s looking like a nomad is not going to work for me tbh

i guess it depends on your accuracy requirements.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.