Beginning with v carving

So I have a small plaque I want to make and I want to v carve the text but no matter the font or size I see the same issue in preview that looks like a dog bone on the ends of all the letters. Is it just the preview or have I got something set wrong?

Using a 1/2" wide Whiteside 60d V bit

make sure you have the angle in the tools set to 30degree
(cc uses half angle)

1 Like

Shouldn’t CC generate gcode based on the input angle, regardless if it is the correct one? That is the preview. Even with a 120deg bit, you can carve sharp corners. It should generate paths so the depth adjusts based on the geometry. I don’t use CC, but that seems odd. Almost as if you told it to start carving below your stock surface or it’s a flat toolpath. Can you share the file, @tmorris9? Or a look at the toolpaths from a 3D angle.

Yea, learned that first thing when it would not let me put in 90 for my 90 degree v bit.

Yea it turned out ok. Was just a render glitch.
Some lines where faint but that was because of the sizes of font.

2 Likes

@tmorris9
What version of CC are you currently using?

This is extra words so I can post this

1 Like

V carving has had a few updates since the. It’s on 429 now and they are getting ready for another stable release. So I’d try 429 and see if that changes your results before getting too deep into things. I’ve seen drastic changes in quality of v carve option lately

2 Likes

Where can I find the 429 release?

Well I think they are now at 431, this is rapid prototyping for you! Anyhow, the latest is here: https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/unstable/ Maybe it will be 432 by the time you get there.

3 Likes

Yea, latest version fixed the visual glitch.

2 Likes