Best place to buy cutters in Europe (Denmark)

I’m a joiner, makita routers are common in our workshop, but usually we use 8mm endmills and sometimes 6mm. we never use imperial endmills. you won’t find them at suppliers in France. There are only endmills from dremell, so 3.17mm.

For the imperial collets, I chose the ones from carbide 3d. they are great and I wanted to make sure they were well machined. you can find them on roboshop. (out of stock at the moment)
The makita router is already supplied with 8mm and 6mm collets.

I create my library of Endmills little by little, depending on my milling cutters, I find it personal, depending on your organisation and settings, it’s quite fast on fusion 360.

I love these xxl endmills, the length is not bad for 3d.
https://www.cncfraises.fr/fraises-carbures-helicoidales-2-dents/127-fraise-2-dents-317-mm-carbure-helicoidale-xl.html

and for aluminium and acrylic I use endmills with 1 tooth. (but I haven’t machined much aluminium yet… I’m just starting out)
https://www.cncfraises.fr/carbures-1-dent-aluminium/83-fraise-1-dent-3mm-lc-15mm-speciale-aluminium.html

suggestions from @Moded1952 are very good too.

2 Likes

Pretty much in line with what Lucas and Vivien mentioned, here are a few of my favorite cutters from CNCFraises:

A long reach 1/8" one I bought to mill tall pieces with tight inside corners back when I did this

For aluminium, I’m a sucker for single-flutes and found these two to work very well:

And finally my workhorse for…pretty much everything in wood, is this 6mm 2-flute:

3 Likes

@Julien @Bwood34 @Moded1952 Thanks a lot for your suggestions. It seems like you have a lot of overlap in what you’d choose from CNCFraises :slightly_smiling_face:.

For one of my first projects, I’m planning to make something similar (in shape) to what you did @Julien. You didn’t need a ball nose endmill to create well rounded corners?

I’ve also been thinking about creating an inlay with the V-carve technique. I’m not sure which V-bit I should get from CNCFraises though? The ones they have look a bit rough (https://www.cncfraises.fr/208-carving)?

This is how my shopping basket it looking now:

OK,

I have to ask, is that store really called CNC Strawberries?

That would have been ideal, but I could not find any ballnose with such a long reach, so I decided to just use the 1/8" square with a tiny stepover, and with the specific geometry I had, it worked well enough.

Yeah I had the same feeling that those were visually undistinguishable (it that a word ?) from the c*** I once bought on ebay, so I preferred to pass. But in hindsight, given the quality of his other tools in store, they might well be excellent Vbit. In the end I did not order my 60° and 90° Vbits there because I have the C3D ones and they are excellent.

Looks good, I would maybe just not pick that particular 45° vbit as I think it is more suitable for engraving (PCBs) than v-carving wood (but then again I never tried). I would rather but that one

which is similar to the 25° I got and I have been in love with.

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

“Fraise” is French for both strawberry and “that sharp piece of metal you spin at several thousand RPM while moving it through material on a mill/CNC”. Language is weird right ?

Trim router ? That’s called a “fraiseuse” here.

4 Likes

Oh that is excellent, idiosyncrasies of evolved languages…

Well “fraise” pronounced in French sounds exactly like “phrase” pronounced in English, so that can’t be a coincidence.

When I did a quick check it went back to the Latin.

fresus “to gnash, crush, grind”
Vulgar Latin: fresare “ground bean”
Middle French: fraiser “to unwrap, shell (as in bean)”

Phrase however comes from the Latin phrasis which is from Greek, phrazein to point out, explain, tell.

For folks interested in this sort of thing I recommend The Horse, the Wheel, and Language which looks into linguistic archaeology.

3 Likes

I’m in Denmark as well, and purchased a set of precision collets from Elaire with no problems in the summer. They arrived in 3 weeks time. I found some Makita collets locally for 8mm and 1/4", but the Elaire collets seem to be much higher quality.

2 Likes

@Julien Thanks for the advice. This is what I’ll order for now:

Let’s see how far that’ll get me :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

:+1:

With (at least) four of us ordering stuff there, we should try and see if we can get him to create a #C3DCOMMUNITYFORUM discount code for us :wink:

3 Likes

Haha… definitely. Let me know if you get around to it :slightly_smiling_face:.

I sent him an email tonight, we’ll see.

1 Like

That would be interesting. Just ordered a bunch of endmills there, similar to Holgers order.

I’d suggest having a look to see what social media channels (if any) they are using to promote the brand. If they’re actively doing the whole digital marketing thing then showing them a community of users there may get some interest.

3 Likes

So, my package from CNCFraises arrived today. I’m pretty impressed. It came with usage notes for several of the endmills - my bad highschool french isn’t quite sufficient to extract all the info there, but it’s nice to include. It also included a free endmill, a FCCD250 in my case.
And as a final nice little touch, it even included a piece of candy.
I expect that I’ll place more orders there in the future.

4 Likes

I just had the same experience as @madsb. I got a free endmill as well.

I wrote Cristoph to ask a few questions as well and got a quick and elaborate answer. The v-carve endmills he has photos of aren’t the same as the ones he’s selling. His v-carve endmills are much like the ones from Carbide. He’s also working on some new compression endmills for wood, which should be out soon.

I can only recommend CNCFraises. I’m looking forward to hearing if @Julien manages to get a discount through :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

The speeds and feeds should be readable at least:

• Vitesse de coupe: Surface speed, m/min
  • Diamètre de coupe de l’outil: Cutting diameter, mm
  • Avance par dent: Feed per tooth, mm/tooth

The symbols he uses seem to be the same everywhere as well:

• Vc: surface speed
  • fz: feed per tooth
  • vf: feed rate
  • n: RPM
  • d: cutting diameter
  • Z: number of teeth

I can’t make sense of everything but this at least I figured out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.